Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need help. My beta likes to swim near his filter which he’s always done since I got him. One time he got stuck on it and I went to move the filter and he swam right off. On Friday 5/27 he got stuck on it again. His tail was stuck inside the filter and he was wrapped around it. I had to turn the filter off to help get him out. After that I kept the filter off because I had to go to work and was afraid of turning it back on. But he would stay at the bottom of his tank in the corner. The next day I went and got him some betta revive to help and put him into a temporary 2 1/2 gallon tank until he was better. Today (3 days later) he’s swimming around at the top of his little tank and he still won’t eat which is probably because he’s stressed but what I’m more concerned about is when he swims it’s like he’s shedding his tail. He’s losing pieces of his tail and I don’t know what to do. The pet store is the one who told me to move him into a small tank and get the betta revive. Is it normal for him to be losing some of his tail after something like this? He had a big fully complete tail and now it looks like this. Someone please help me. I’ve had him for almost a year now and I don’t want to lose him. His name is McFish and he’ll be 2 in august. I don’t know how old he was when I got him I just count the years I got him as his age. I also included a picture of the medicine I was told to use.
Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Terrestrial plant Flowering plant
Glove Purple Sleeve Material property Superfood

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Hi,

So sorry about McFish! I hope he is doing better now!

I am not sure what type of filter you have, but it would be good if you "betta proof" it. If he is getting stuck in the intake, they make sponges to cover those. He is losing parts of his tail because it is damaged, so that is expected.

I have never used betta revive, but it looks like it is a preventative. It does have malachite green and methylene blue along with a bit of antibiotic, which all sounds good. It looks like you can use it for up to 7 days or so.

I would do small frequent water changes every other day to keep the water pristine. I would also add some Indian almond leaves to the tank for the tannins. Tannins have some slight antibacterial and antifungal properties, and bettas love the stuff. The leaves will tint the water brown, but it is very beneficial and reduces stress. You could also add some aquarium salt to the tank to help with healing. Just follow the dosage instructions on the package. You could use it for a good 2 weeks, and then I would stop. Keep his light dim, and turn it off completely for a good 15 hours at a time.

It's going to take a while for his tail to heal. You will see new growth, and it will be translucent at first. And then it will look like some of the ends might start to knit together.

I hope this helps!!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.