Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
My betta fish (Bill) went for a holiday (to a friend) over christmas. When we bought him home again he developed fin rot (we think due to stress). We treated with pimafix and he developed swim bladder disorder so we swapped to bettafix. Following this his symptoms began to improve and he is now on the mend. He had pretty much every fin affected and the finrot reached within 1-3mm of his body on almost every fin but his dorsal fin was the first and worst affected and its basically gone. His tail and all other fins have now regrown approx 10-15mm (yay!!!) But his dorsal fin is not regrowing at all. He is having trouble staying upright balance wise and although he can get around he spends 99% of his time on the bottom of the tank pretending to be part of his log (he intentionally swims down there and sits either under or on top of it.) When he sits at the bottom he often rests on his tail and his head is up though he will also sit flat and usually a little sideways(leaning to either side) which i asume is due to no dorsal fin?

Does anyone know if his dorsal fin may regrow?

Also on a side note before he got sick he loved swimming into the current from his filter. He would do this by darting in spits and spurts often for hours on end. Is this a normal thing? He still does it but alot less often now, instead sitting almost saddly on the bottom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }a:link { } Yeah he is a little trooper though and my mum pointed out another thing he does...

He goes 2-3 days without food (or say 1 pellet only) and then scoffs any food he can on the 2nd or 3rd day. for example today he has had 2 pellets only. He has never been an over-eater he eats till full then leaves any food he doesn't want. i'm pretty sure this isn't normal any ideas? when on a hungry day he will eat 7 or so pellets in one go but indicate he is hungry 3-4 times that day so up to around 28 pellets total - we know this is overfeeding at that time but he is a bit skinny because he won't eat on other days.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 15 Liters
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? & What temperature is your tank? Yes - it's set to 26 degrees Celsius.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes - part of filter
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No - Preciously had cherry shrimp who were chasing him so they got removed when his fin rot began.

See link to his type of tank. http://omalleys.com.au/shop/index.php?id_product=423&controller=product

Food:
What food brand do you use? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ocean-Nutri...h-High-Quality-Pellet-Fish-Food-/291222769153 (we buy from petstore)
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? ???
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? as much as he will allow us to feed him (see above feeding issue)

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 1ce per week/fortnight
What percentage of water did you change? 25-33%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? combo depending on time, usually vacuum at least every 2nd week.
What additives do you use? primer, a little bit of plant food, rainwater

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

pH: neutral

We don't have a test kit for the rest - i know we should but we don't because the pet store is out of stock and they wouldn't test it for us.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? late January, first noticed on 25th January, fin rot began on dorsal fin, then on tail (day 2 split tail in center right to base...) and on pectoral fins. affected all fins in the end. see series of photos. i'll be at my parents place again tomorrow so i'll take a clear shot then if they don't send me a new one tonight. his fins are all shorter now than they were in those photos, but they are longer than they were at his worst.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? fin rot symptoms on all fins - now growing back as seen in the picture. - i'l take a current photo tomorrow when i visit but he did get worse and is now recovering.

How has your Betta’s behavior changed? went from swimming in stream of filter to sitting on bottom of tank for 90% of his day. - will swim occasionally but very rare and only for short time. he also used to flare up at mirrors 100% of the time, now he barely looks at it...
Is your Betta still eating? barely - see above
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? treated with pimafix - developed swim bladder disorder, switched to bettafix - recovering.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? not since we got him.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? pet store - bought late November.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

These images were taken in the initial stages of his illness, during the time of these images he was being treated with pimafix as this is what the pet store recommended. he continued to get worse and on the night of the 28th developed swim bladder disorder symptoms and he stopped eating, on the 29th i went to a different pet store for advice and they told me to try bettafix, with this his swim bladder symptoms went away and he lost the remainder of his fins over the next week or so then his condition stabilized. i unfortunately wasn't around to take photos for pretty much all of February but he got pretty bad and is on the mend now. I'll be visiting him again tomorrow so i'll try and get a photo of him now for this post.

·
Super Moderator
22,958 Posts
To embed photos click on "Go Advanced" the on the paper clip in the toolbar or "Manage Attachments." Many people use devices which won't allow them to easily follow links and come back here. That's why we ask for embedded photos. Thank you.

Fin regrowth is unpredictable; you just never know how long it's going to take.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I could not get a clear photo of the fish today as he only wanted to sit on the bottom in a heap, so instead i took a video of him swimming with some encouragement (I poked near him with our cleaning tool that he is used to just to get him to move!).

In the video you can see how he is behaving right now, staying to the bottom and refusing to come up for food, or even just swim like he used to. if i hadn't poked near him he would have sat there for several hours.

The video is on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEWWOV0asUk

there's another video on my channel of a shrimp in this video you can kind of see Bill for a short moment. it was taken before he got sick so i guess it's like the "before" shot, that's if anyone is interested!

Image uploading trouble: Apparently it's a problem with my computer. i uploaded one image from my sister's computer and it worked. as the others are also just 'before' photos and this one came out rather big i'll spare you those (unless you want them) but at least i know it's my computer not working properly! can I upload videos somehow as i tried from my sister's computer and it didn't work?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
What is that near his gills? I would stop using any of the "fix" treatments. They actually are not suggest for bettas despite marketing. The water can become toxic after awhile.
Clean his tank well and keep doing small daily changes with vaccuming for a week. This is to get all the meds out of the tank. You want to vaccum every time- no dipping dipping does not remove organic matter so it sits in your tank and rots then raises your ammonia and nitrates. Which makes SBD worse and your fish lethargic and sick feelling.

Purchase some methylene blue and a new 1 gallon food container rinse it then let it sit with water and dechlorinator for at least an hour. Dump the water Before you do your daily water change use the gallon container to catch your fish and fill it with tank water (all at once) Put one drop of methylene blue in the container and carefully float him in the tank avoid spilling the methylene blue and in the tank. Let him sit in the bath for 20-30 minutes. How long depends on if you see signs of stress like lots of heavy breathing. If he seems excessively distressesd. The methylene blue is good for healing fin rot and will help for ammonia and nitrate buildup. Put a teaspoon and half of 100% epsom salt in the regular tank itself for at least five days to see if the SBD improves. I would redose 1/2 teaspoon with each small water change (1/2 gallon)

His fin should grow back but it may take awhile.It's possible it's a fin problem. However, I think the problem is more likely to be SBD and possibly high ammonia and nitrate build up than lack of fin growth.
Veiltails have similar build but they are able to remain balanced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi thanks for the reply. As far as using the bettafix/pimafix we stopped that over a month ago and did a 75% water change after the bettafix. followed by around 6, 25% water changes since then (3 in the first week after the treatment stopped), so it's pretty much out now. i just thought it was important to mention. sorry i didn't make it clear that we had stopped using those!

i'll try the methylene blue bath when i can get some i do have some salts so i might try that in the meantime. i did a water change today and he seemed a little happier though he still hasn't eaten for the last 2 days :(.

i'll see about getting some test kits to work this out.. poor fish!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh and around his gills? i'm not 100% on what you mean but i was holding the mirror for the photo so he was flaring up. if you mean the white spec in the video? that's reflection from a light, there's nothing on his gills that i can see, which i suppose is good but yeah your comment did make me look twice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts