Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what are some good betta tank mates? I was thinking some kind of aquatic frog, but then i thought they might be fin nippers. So any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
What size tank are you looking at? If it's less than ten gallons, it's not a good idea, but in ten gallons and over you have a fair few options.

It is possible to keep African DWARF Frogs (stay away from African CLAWED frogs) with bettas, but there can be problems. Fin nipping is one of them, but it's due to poor eyesight rather than aggression.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Other options besides frogs. U could get a small school of neon tetras (about 5) in a 10gal+ tank or some ghost shrimp in a smaller tank.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have cory cat's and small agae eaters in with my sorority and they all get along good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In my 20gal tank, I have:
~ 2 young (small) Angelfish
~ 5 Neon Tetras
~ 1 common Pleco
and my one Veiltail Male Betta, I've heard that this doesn't work for everyone, but if your betta is mellow enough it could work. It's lots of pretty colors, and my Betta, Gyarados, loves having tank mates.
I've only seen one of the Angels nip at my betta once, and after Gyarados swam away, it hasn't happened since. All of the fishys will try to poke their noses at the pleco, but, lol, get bored and swim away when he doesn't move or anything.

Oh, and yes I know my tank is too small for all my fish once they're full grown, but since I'm moving (and can't take them with me) before they outgrow the tank, I'm not too worried about it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm kk now with algae feeders is their a certain tank size they need cause they get pretty big don't they? I'm looking to get a 20 gallon high is that good enough for a algae eater betta and maybe a school or two of other fish.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
algae eaters*

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
It is fine for a smaller algae eater like a bristlenose pleco - make sure they don't sell you a common pleco by mistake, as they get much bigger!

If you can get a 20 long, that would be better, as bettas can struggle with taller tanks. A 20 high won't kill your plans, though. It would be fine to stock it with:
- 1 BN pleco
- 1 betta
- 6 x one kind of tetra
- 6 x another type of tetra

Alternatives for the tetras include smaller rasboras (harlequins, mosquito, micro etc), danios (that can be a risk, though), or gentle barbs, such as cherries. Alternatively, livebearers such as platies, guppies or Endlers (my favourite) would do, but only 4 platies or guppies as they have a higher bioload than little tetras.
Just make sure you stay away from nippy fish, such as serpae tetras and tiger barbs. When in doubt, google it and get experiences from hundreds of different people and experts online - don't trust the petshops, who will tell you almost anything in a lot of cases just to make a sale.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have two small little algae eaters. They are two inches at the max great cleaners. Mine are in my 10 gallon sorority. I like the plecos but they are kinda bruts when it comes to tank decoration. My dad has a 14 inch in a 55 gal. He can't have a lot of decoration because they knock everything over. I would recommend smaller algaes if you go that way. Mine are called otocinclus and I got them at petsmart. Picture below. They are neat. They have a black strip all around their body.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Oh, make sure your tank is cycled and established. You have to make sure there is plenty of algae in the tank and they are sensitive to ich meds. They can only have half doses like tetras. You also need at least two they are schooling fish. In a twenty gallon maybe.... four or five?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
schooling are fish that are happier with more than one of their type. Fishies that need a buddy or two to stay happier. a.k.a. platys, guppies, tetra's, danios....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Alternatives for the tetras include smaller rasboras (harlequins, mosquito, micro etc), danios (that can be a risk, though), or gentle barbs, such as cherries. Alternatively, livebearers such as platies, guppies or Endlers (my favourite) would do, but only 4 platies or guppies as they have a higher bioload than little tetras.
I'd be careful about guppys tho, with the betta. Your betta might see the flashy male guppys as a threat, and might attack them. It depends on his personality. However, my female betta does great with the 4 male guppys she's with.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
So with the guppy's it all depends on the attitude of the Betta? I just heard that from someone else. I was thinking about adding some guppy's to my 10 gal but I am rethinking it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What I did to test my betta is hold a mirror up to him. From my experience, if it takes him forever to flare out, or if he swims away, he's not verry aggressive. I also put in 5 neon tetras with him in a small tank, and he ignored them, and neons are pretty noticable! I'm also gonna test my Gyarados by putting him in the small tank with the guppys, just to see how he does. If he starts to get aggressive, I can pull him out quickly.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
my Captain is very calm and attitude free. he hardly flares. Red on the other hand. He is going to be put in a bigger tank soon but I don't think he is going to have any buddy's. He flares at everything and everyone except me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks very helpful. I heard the same thing about the bettas with the guppys

1 - 17 of 17 Posts