Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I was wondering if anyone could provide insight as to why my betta tank is getting so dirty so quickly. I do a 25% water change weekly and that includes a gravel vacuum being used. However, the tanks (I have two), are getting so nasty so quickly. Even if I do a complete tank cleaning in a couple of days it will look like this again. The filter cartridge is also getting nasty but even when I change them it doesn't seem to help for long.
Toy Entertainment Event Leisure Fashion accessory

World Water Flooring Fun Leisure

Food Ingredient Cuisine Recreation Baked goods

Drinkware Fluid Glass bottle Barware Mason jar

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No direct sunlight. But, the male's light stays on from around 6am until about 10pm. The female's light turns on at around 8:30am and turns off around 8:30pm. I have the female's light on a timer. The male lives with my fiancè and he turns the light on when he goes to work in the morning and off when he goes to bed. But, if this is too much light then we can fix all that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Algae isn’t always a bad thing, and I think healthy filter cartridges also look nasty sometimes. You could try doing 50% changes every week or 2 25%s and see if that helps. A snail may help control the algae as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Algae isn’t always a bad thing, and I think healthy filter cartridges also look nasty sometimes. You could try doing 50% changes every week or 2 25%s and see if that helps. A snail may help control the algae as well.
What type of snails are good for the bettas? Would they still live in harmony and happily and everything?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long do you leave the lights on during the day? Are they in any direct sunlight?
No direct sunlight. But, the male's light stays on from around 6am until about 10pm. The female's light turns on at around 8:30am and turns off around 8:30pm. I have the female's light on a timer. The male lives with my fiancè and he turns the light on when he goes to work in the morning and off when he goes to bed. But, if this is too much light then we can fix all that.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
I second the limitation of lights-on to 6-8 hrs/day.

As a side note:
If you are exchanging the cartridges for new ones, this wouldn‘t be necessary or is even detrimental to the tanks‘ health.

You can swish or rinse it in old tank water a couple of times per month (or whenever flow is getting weaker).

This will allow beneficial bacteria to grow and stay on the cartridge and helps to keep stable parameters.

Here is a good sticky note, if you want to know more about it:
Nitrogen Cycle

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think that’s probably the issue, I would limit it to 8 hrs or less. If there is no live plants you can leave them off for a while and starve the algae of light.
Okay we have made a plan to decrease the light amount. I cleaned the tanks today so hopefully the problem won’t become an issue again. There were live plants in the tank but I took them out several weeks ago and have been keeping them in another bowl because at first I thought the plants or the aquarium fertilizer was what was causing the tank to become dirty. Once we make sure this light schedule is helping, we will probably add them back now that we know that’s not the case! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I second the limitation of lights-on to 6-8 hrs/day.

As a side note:
If you are exchanging the cartridges for new ones, this wouldn‘t be necessary or is even detrimental to the tanks‘ health.

You can swish or rinse it in old tank water a couple of times per month (or whenever flow is getting weaker).

This will allow beneficial bacteria to grow and stay on the cartridge and helps to keep stable parameters.

Here is a good sticky note, if you want to know more about it:
Nitrogen Cycle
Okay I keep that in mind for next time. I was just doing that as a way to try to keep it clean, we were going through filters like crazy trying to keep the tanks clean. I was just so afraid that it was bothering or hurting them. However, this makes sense and we will definitely be changing a lot. We have come up with a new light schedule for them which is going to decrease their lights-on time significantly, and we won’t be changing to new filters like we were (thank goodness)!

·
Super Moderator
24,350 Posts
We're here to help so always ask. Even if members think theirs is a silly question we encourage them to ask, anyway.

Once you get it under control, Nerite Snails are good at helping keep algae at bay. They don't breed in freshwater so no baby overrun and, IMO, are quite pretty.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We're here to help so always ask. Even if members think theirs is a silly question we encourage them to ask, anyway.

Once you get it under control, Nerite Snails are good at helping keep algae at bay. They don't breed in freshwater so no baby overrun and, IMO, are quite pretty.
Alright! Sounds great! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's way too long, mine was getting alot of algae also, I don't use the light anymore my fish hates it too.

·
Super Moderator
24,350 Posts
I have to rely on timers or no telling what my tanks would look like!

Another reason to limit lights is Betta have a need for x-number of hours of dark. A schedule that might work better for you (and starve the algae) is leave the lights off when you're gone and have the timer set for them to come on about the time you get home and off when you go to bed.

If and when you're ready to try live plants, I would suggest a fast-growing stem plant that will compete with the algae for food. Hornwort is, for me, pretty much bomb-proof. Don't plant as it doesn't have viable roots; just let hang loose. If it starts growing too much most people with Goldfish will take it or the pet store might even buy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have to rely on timers or no telling what my tanks would look like!

Another reason to limit lights is Betta have a need for x-number of hours of dark. A schedule that might work better for you (and starve the algae) is leave the lights off when you're gone and have the timer set for them to come on about the time you get home and off when you go to bed.

If and when you're ready to try live plants, I would suggest a fast-growing stem plant that will compete with the algae for food. Hornwort is, for me, pretty much bomb-proof. Don't plant as it doesn't have viable roots; just let hang loose. If it starts growing too much most people with Goldfish will take it or the pet store might even buy.
I was thinking about trying to do something like that! I appreciate the information about the live plants too! We have 2 bamboo sticks with moss as well as a a betta buddy which is basically a rock with a plant attached it appears but we're definitely open to new things as well as getting snails to help!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts