Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5.5 gallons.
Does it have a filter? Yes.
Does it have a heater? Yes.
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No.

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega one color mini pellets
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets only
Freeze-dried? Nope
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Only a pinch 1-2 times a day
Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? about 50%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vaccum
What additives do you use? Seachem prime

Water Parameters:
ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate- less than 5 ppm
ph- n/a

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? About two months ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Bump began growing on his side. Thought it had stopped growing but it seems to have recently gotten larger. Fins also became a little more ragged but have healed some. Betta has only had fin problems multiple times in the past and was treated with aquarium salt and almond leaves
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Less energetic and hides more but still swims around and comes up to eat, although does not eat as well
Have you started treating your Betta? No. Would not know what to do
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? Owned a year and a half. Birthday gift from petco

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am no fish expert, but I have unfortunately had the experience of having a Betta with at tumor. I don't think there is anything that you can do if it is a tumor, besides make him as comfortable as possible :-(. I think you should just watch him, and try and make feeding as simple as possible for him if he is struggling i.e. feeding him with tweezers or something else along those lines. You might also want to purchase some clove oil in case he takes a sudden turn for the worst to put him down easy.

Sorry for such a morbid post, but seeing as his condition is getting worse, you should be prepared.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would guess that is a tumor. Again, a guess. You can make him as comfortable as possible until it overcomes him. If he starts to suffer, you can use clove oil to humanely euthanize him.

Steps to Clove Essential Oil Euthanasia

Firstly, move the fish into a smaller tank, a baby bath or bucket - something that can be thrown away or easily cleaned.
Put 3 drops with a half pint of water and shake very well, so the oil and water make a fusion - otherwise the oil will just float on top of the water and for the euthanasia to work the fish has to get the oil into its system. I must emphasise that it is very important that you mix the water with a clove oil properly to avoid it simply floating on the surface like any oil will.
Add the mixture to the water that the fish is in (1 gallon of water should be more than enough) and stir it around slowly with your hand. The fish should become lethargic and sleepy.
Add another mixture of 2 to 3 drops of oil in water. When the fish goes "belly up" it is asleep - not dead.
Then add 3 more drops of clove oil. The fish feels nothing, it is very peaceful and humane. It seems mad that a few drops of something can have such an effect, but it IS very strong. Don't make the mistake of thinking that if you initially put more in it will act quicker - it will only freak the fish out - it has to be done gradually so the fish doesn't notice the change in the water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.