Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My male betta has been twitching once in a while since I got him. So he would go up to eat and then he will do this little twitch and then some times a few in a row until he will get back to normal and eat his food.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? Temporary 1g
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78-79
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Fluval and BettaMin
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Granules and sometimes flakes
Freeze-dried? Once or twice a week soaked.
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 3x a day- He will only eat the tiniest pieces so a bunch of those.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every other day.
What percentage of water did you change? 30-50%
What is the source of your water? Spring Water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I use a pipette to spot clean and then dip out the rest.
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? API Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10 ish
pH: 7.9
Hardness (GH): N/A
Alkalinity (KH): N/A

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Feb. 11 (the day I got him)
How has your Betta鈥檚 appearance changed? No
How has your Betta鈥檚 behavior changed? He does a little twitch
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Yes, he was fin biting when I got him
How long have you owned your Betta? 10 days
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Yes

I can't really get a video of him twitching...He never does it when I try to record :c

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I tried but he only does it once in a while and I can't get a video of it. He'll be swimming around and then he will jerk to one side and then go back to swimming.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Yes! I managed to get a video of him, but the twitches aren't that bad. Usually they are more "jerk" ish. I can't attach a video so I posted it on Youtube and linked it below. Sorry about the shaking...I was recording it with my laptop. You have to wait until like 0:11 or so to see it.

Registered
Bettas..a mix of em
Could just be normal if he has been like that since you got him. Couldn't really see anything bad twitching. Does your tank have infusoria in it? If it does maybe he twitches to shake off whatever gets onto him. If he eats and still acts "normal", i wouldnt worry to much about the twitching.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Could just be normal if he has been like that since you got him. Couldn't really see anything bad twitching. Does your tank have infusoria in it? If it does maybe he twitches to shake off whatever gets onto him. If he eats and still acts "normal", i wouldnt worry to much about the twitching.
It's not as bad as it usually is. Usually he will completely jerk to one side uncrontrollably. There isn't algae in my tank. It's just that he's twitching. Nothing else that's not normal. He can only eat the tiniest pieces of the bug bites and I don't know why. My female can eat all of the bug bites no matter how big the pieces are.

Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
I can see what you are talking about. My long finned fish does that too-she just jerks around and swims all funky and sometimes turns upside down. Nothing wrong with her just the way she swims. I would say it looks normal.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I can see what you are talking about. My long finned fish does that too-she just jerks around and swims all funky and sometimes turns upside down. Nothing wrong with her just the way she swims. I would say it looks normal.
Okay thanks!!!

Registered
Grim Reaper the Platinum dragon betta
yes this happens to my guppys sometimes and they are alive and well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts