Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had these fish for almost 2 months now & I have a M&F pair in a planted 40 gallon with lots of floating plants and leaf litter. While I have not observed spawning behavior myself, there are fry in the tank! I always thought that the male ended up swallowing the clutches but I appear to be wrong. Hopefully I can update this thread with more as the babies grow up. Thanks!
Water Plant Terrestrial plant Organism Grass

Plant Organism Iguania Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant

Plant Plant community Vertebrate Water Green

Water Plant Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant Grass

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! The Unimaculata complex is very different from the domestic betta and the splendens complex. These fish get to be about 6 inches long so they are much bigger and due to their large size, they do best in species only tanks as to avoid them consuming tankmates. Males can be kept together without doing serious harm to each other; I just have the pair so I don’t have experience with that but the breeder I got them from kept a male tank and a female tank when he wasn’t breeding them.

I hope that helps, make sure to do a ton of research if you’re interested in a wild species. I’m also happy to answer other questions, I love talking about my wilds!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is definitely interesting to watch the different behaviors they exhibit together; I love watching my Betta edithae. The males will display at each other and chase each other a little, the female is always begging for food at the front with the fry, they’re a lot of fun. I wish wild bettas were more well known but I’m also thankful that because they are niche, I’ve seen less neglectful care due to people having to work harder to find them & such. I am going to be getting a pair or trio of Betta mahachaiensis soon from a local breeder so I’ll have experience with another species, let me know if you ever want to discuss a species you’re interested in!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aaaaand I found them working on making even more baby bettas today, lol. The existing babies I could see were eating well today and seem healthy. One is bigger than than the others; I’m not sure if it is older or if it is a stronger one. Exciting stuff! ☺
Photo of one of the fry below, it is so little but it looks like it is glaring at me.
Water Underwater Fin Fish Marine biology

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly they weren’t too hard to find but I lucked out in that someone a few hours away had a pair available. Maybe go to a local aquarium club and see if there are any wild betta species breeders? You could always see what they have, go home and research, and see if that would be a good species for you.

I also have a little update, the babies are growing and looking good! There’s at least 10 and the parents are busy making even more. Here are some silly photos of the fry from today, their eyes are so big!
Water Underwater Liquid Marine biology Aquatic plant

Atmospheric phenomenon Underwater Tints and shades Snout Fish
Arthropod Organism Insect Terrestrial animal Terrestrial plant

Water Eye Fish Wood Fin

Hopefully they will continue to grow and do well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Every day I look, I see more and more babies. And the male released more today. Here’s to hoping some people locally are interested, or that I finally try shipping fish! They’re still small but very hungry and growing 😅
Reptile Salamander Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal Wood

Glasses Plant Leaf Wood Branch

Water Fin Plant Underwater Fish

And, of course, photos of mom and dad.
Eye Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal

Water Eye Underwater Fish Fin

And as always, thanks for reading! ☺

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beak Underwater Fin Fish Marine biology

It’s an awful photo but one of the babies seems to have a split tail. At first I thought it was a nipped tail but I haven’t observed any nipping & it has been like this for weeks now. This one is swimming around fine and growing normally, I’ll definitely keep a close eye on it though.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The babies have been growing very well! I have also observed them spawning in the front of the tank; it seems like he’ll hold for a while, release, eat for 3 days or so, and then he’s right back at it. Thankfully, there are 2 people who are local and interested. I think I’m going to look into shipping fish so I have more options of future homes for them.

Edit: I have 7 people who are local and interested now. Oh boy!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just LOVE your wild bettas! It has been super fun just looking at your pics, your spawn logs, and I love hearing about updates! If it wasn't for my mom (lol), I'd be having 20 tanks, and getting wilds from you. Maybe some day......
Thank you! I’m glad that people are enjoying the updates, sometimes I wonder if I talk about my wild bettas too much 😅 And I feel you on wanting allllll the tanks. Thankfully I’m limited right now but I’m sure I’ll have a whole fish room in the future.

How's the double tail unimaculata doing?
It is still doing well! It seems a tiny bit smaller than it’s siblings of what I assume are of a similar age but has a good appetite and does not seem to have any issues swimming. That one seems a little bit more skittish than the other fry, I’m curious to see if it gets more confident when it is bigger. I don’t have a recent photo of that particular fry but I’ll see if I can get a good photo of it in a little bit, I just got off of work.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Their tank is a bit gross at the moment as I was recovering from surgery and their tank was hard to do water changes on during my recovery BUT it’s looking better now. The bettas are doing great; I’m going to start rehoming the largest babies soon. I can’t believe how big they’re getting! Thankfully a lot of people locally are interested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts