Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Editing this to add my Betta is named Abend and I love him to bits. Only thing keeping me from buying a 10 gallon is money and space limitations. What I really need help with is figuring out exactly what he has other than the fin rot and if that is all what I should treat it with. I have already tried to treat it with no luck so far. He used to greet me everyday and interact with me and it is really sad to see him just sitting on his leaf or hiding in the back of the tank.
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No (I did get one but it agitated the surface too much and stressed him out)
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon betta food and I also feed Daphnia.
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets and dapnia is freeze dried
Freeze-dried? for the daphnia yes
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Almost everyday usually skipping one day. I feed him about two pellets and not sure about the dapnia since I just sprinkle it in.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once per week
What percentage of water did you change? about 20%
What is the source of your water? Bottled (Tap water is super hard in our apartment)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum substrate
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? API Stresscoat I had used tetra

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite:0 ppm
Nitrate:10 ppm from strips but when I used the kit I got 0ppm
pH: 6.8
Hardness (GH): 100 (strips so cant be exact)
Alkalinity (KH): 70 (strips)

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? So about a month ago he showed up missing part of one of his ventral fins. He really started to show symptoms about a week after that.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? His fins are ragged and he isn't as colorful as before but not really dull just not quite the same. His caudal tale has really been eaten away
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?. He is lethargic and doesn't swim around much anymore. he mostly stays at the top of the tank and seems to be breathing harder. For a while whenever he saw anyone he was darting down to hide at the bottom of his tank. Today he is just laying on his leaf and breathing from the surface. Also when he darts to the bottom he will sometimes lay there gasping before moving again
Is your Betta still eating? He had stopped about 3 weeks about but started eating within about a week. I was really worried but he has been again since that point
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I tried aquarium salt and tried kanaplex treatment but neither has seemed to have any effect. I did both of these treatments in a smaller container that I floated in my original tank since I don't have a quarantine tank and I can't really get one. Currently I am just keeping him in his regular tank with no treatment but I did do a large water change about a week ago and rinsed off his decorations.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No he had a swim bladder issue very early on when I got him but it was easily resolved with a bit of fasting.
How long have you owned your Betta? 1 year
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Not that I know of
Below are the best photos I could get since he hides if I try to get others.
Photograph Light Purple Organism Liquid
Organism Underwater Water Jellyfish Marine biology
Liquid Water Plant Purple Fluid

Here is one of what he looked like before
Water Underwater Sky Fluid Cloud

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also a little update he is still at the top of the tank but I was just checking him and I don't see him gasping or struggling. I actually barely see his gills move but he is resting on his leaf so that might be part of why. Also got another picture of him from his other side. Sorry, it is a little blurry.
Flower Plant Purple Pollinator Organism

·
Super Moderator
1,875 Posts
Purified water lacks the essential minerals and nutrients that they need to survive so you need to re-mineralize the water by using something like Seachem equilibrium. On top of that I would suggest only using the freeze dried food no more than once per week, frozen is much better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Purified water lacks the essential minerals and nutrients that they need to survive so you need to re-mineralize the water by using something like Seachem equilibrium. On top of that I would suggest only using the freeze dried food no more than once per week, frozen is much better.
Okay, I will look into remineralizing the water. Also, I would love to use frozen but it has been difficult to find which is why I use dried. He has been eating it for over 9 months with no issues.
Do you have any suggestions for his fin rot? That is mainly what I am concerned about. Will remineralizing the water help with that?

·
Super Moderator
23,822 Posts
In reality, his fins are the least of his problems. His real issues are far more life-threatening.

Fin rot would not cause lethargy and lack of appetite. However, not receiving the essential minerals and trace elements will. And these they receive through the water. Effects are not immediate; often it is months before symptoms appear. This lack also weakens the immune system and leaves them open to issues such as fin rot.

From www.researchgate.net:

"Non-availability of adequate minerals affects growth and may cause irrecoverable deficiency diseases.

"If there is a history of poor growth, poor survival, low fecundity, chronic illnesses or presence of any of the more abnormal signs, nutritional disorder should be considered."

If your water is too hard you can cut it with the purified and your Betta will be getting the minerals he needs. Or, as noted by @BettaloverSara, you can use SeaChem Equilibrium.
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Number

He also appears to be suffering from malnutrition. From above fish should look as below. Sleek from nose to base of caudal with no indentations between skull and body.
Head Eye Fin Underwater Koi

I believe it is Tetra that notes on its site that freeze dried should only be used as treats; never as a meal substitute. Hikari recommends feeding as a treat.

Your boy should be receiving 3-5 pellets of the Aqueon per feeding 3 x per day least three hours apart.

For his fins, the IAL or plain Rooibos Tea will work. They should start healing when you begin taking care of the rest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In reality, his fins are the least of his problems. His real issues are far more life-threatening.

Fin rot would not cause lethargy and lack of appetite. However, not receiving the essential minerals and trace elements will. And these they receive through the water. Effects are not immediate; often it is months before symptoms appear. This lack also weakens the immune system and leaves them open to issues such as fin rot.

From www.researchgate.net:

"Non-availability of adequate minerals affects growth and may cause irrecoverable deficiency diseases.

"If there is a history of poor growth, poor survival, low fecundity, chronic illnesses or presence of any of the more abnormal signs, nutritional disorder should be considered."

If your water is too hard you can cut it with the purified and your Betta will be getting the minerals he needs. Or, as noted by @BettaloverSara, you can use SeaChem Equilibrium.
View attachment 1042064
He also appears to be suffering from malnutrition. From above fish should look as below. Sleek from nose to base of caudal with no indentations between skull and body.
View attachment 1042063
I believe it is Tetra that notes on its site that freeze dried should only be used as treats; never as a meal substitute. Hikari recommends feeding as a treat.

Your boy should be receiving 3-5 pellets of the Aqueon per feeding 3 x per day least three hours apart.

For his fins, the IAL or plain Rooibos Tea will work. They should start healing when you begin taking care of the rest.
Got it thank you! I will definitely feed him more and get some IAL for his tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Okay new update he has been eating well but seems stressed still. He also has still been losing his fins and now I have noticed that when he darts away sometimes small pieces of his fin fall off. I am continuing to feed him and IAL are added but should I do anything more for his fins? I guess I was just wondering how long it will take to see some improvement
Edit I suppose it really hasn't been that long but it just worries me that his back tail is still receeding. He is starting to fill out a little so I suppose patience may be best

·
Super Moderator
23,822 Posts
Do you see any white or clear tissue on the ends of his caudal? That would be new growth; it can take a while, though. It could be the bits you are seeing are pieces of remaining dead tissue.

I'd give it more time but still keep a watch. Eating, gaining weight and being more active are all good signs. They're so slow to heal it's frustrating, I know. Seeing the improvements he's made shows you're doing a great job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts