Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new betta a few days ago, and she has Hole in the Head. She ate once the day I got her, 4 days ago, but hasn't eaten since. I've been treating her conservatively with the salt treatment described in the Betta Fish Disease and Treatment thread.

I'm kind of worried about her not eating, because she refuses everything I give her. Is there anything I can do about it? Or a chance she might starve to death? Because the conservative treatment lasts 10 days and I'm on day 3. I also have API General Cure on hand, which runs treatment for 2 days. If she doesn't eat anything soon would it be advisable to stop the conservative treatment and use the General Cure?

Housing
What size is your tank? Temporarily in a 1 gallon jar
What temperature is your tank? 27-30 degrees Celsius (room temperature)
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, I live in a tropical country
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum Betta
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, 1 pellet

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? For treatment once a day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Currently 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat, 1 tsp salt

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She has hole in the head. At first the lesions were rather small but more numerous; now I think some have disappeared and some have gotten bigger
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, hasn't eaten anything for 3 days, ignores the food completely. I've tried a few other brands of food but she refuses them too
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I got her, 4 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, 1 tsp salt/gallon added 3 times a day 12 hours apart with 100% daily water change. This is the third day
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Don't know
How old is your fish (approximately)? ~3-4 months

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
She does not have hole in the head because it is not possible. HITH is caused by a parasite which is too big to infect any small fish. I'll need pictures to help actually diagnose her though. Are you sure it's not just her natural scaling?

Fish not eating when first brought home is very normal. It's a very stressful process they go through and they just need to get used to their new homes first before they eat anything. But keep trying to feed her, make sure you take out the uneaten pellets though as they'll eventually rot and make her water nasty!

Stop with the salt, it's not going to do her any good, especially at that dose. If you want something conservative you would use 1 teaspoon per every 5 gallons, 3 teaspoons per 1 gallon is high for a conservative dose. I know it says it on the sticky but hopefully we can remedy that since it is not correct for just a preventative measure. You can acclimate her to new fresh water without any salt in it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright I'll get some pictures tomorrow, don't have a camera with me now. And yes, I'm pretty sure it's not her scaling as the pattern has changed quite a bit since I got her.

I got her with three other bettas though and they didn't eat the food at first too but started eating normally the second day. It could be just her temperament, but it seems a little odd to me that she'd refuse food for so long when all the others have adjusted well enough. I find it odd too that she completely ignores the food since all the other bettas I've gotten usually try nibbling it before spitting it out at first.

And yep I was reading that other thread about it; I've decided to quit the salt.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Okay. Was she in a tank with other fish before you got her?

And rem my, the boy in my avatar did t eat for a month so, she'll be just fine, just give her some time. Bettas are much like people, just because one is outgoing doesn't mean they all are ^_^

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think so; I got her from Aquabid and from the pics it looks like she's in a tank by herself. Might just be for the pic, but I think they usually keep them separately.

Alright, I'm glad to know it's not likely she'll starve to death at least!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Oh okay! Thought she was a pet store fish. Can I see her aqua bid pic for reference when you get the new ones?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay lots of pics coming~

Here are the pics of her on aquabid

And here are ones I just took. (Some of the photos were darker than others so adjusting the brightness and contrast made the marks look diff in diff pictures, jsyk)

Her body has also become more dirty-looking from the first day, and on her right side there's this weird line

You can see her scales don't look as clean as they did before (aquabid pic)

Link to album (a few more pics)

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yeah, dirty looking scales happen quite frequently with Black Dragons if the breeder isn't careful. She'll color up more with the black/grey most likely as well as she ages. What is in her tank, if anything?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
No heater or nothing? Because it looks like she's scraping against something. I had this happen to my dragonscale as well, wonder if it's a common thing with them. He's a Turquoise and ended up having these green lines over his scales that looked like scrapes, they went away after a while though. Otherwise she looks fine though. Did she come like this or did it happen over a few days?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I don't need a heater, so it's completely empty~ The only thing she might scrape against is the net when I take her out to do a water change; I usually just catch my bettas in a cup but she refuses to be caught, and it's really hard to get her with the net, so she's thrashed against it quite a few times.

She looked pretty much like she did in the aquabid pic when she arrived; some of the spots on her face have gotten more pronounced over the last few days.

Any reason why she might be lethargic? Maybe she's just really low-energy, idk; when I take away the covers from their jars and let them see each other she gets quite energetic, but otherwise she usually sits at the bottom of her jar and doesn't move, or swims slowly around its perimeter~

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Ooh okay! That would do it then! The net can easily rip scales and fins. That's why it's usually suggested to us a cup but if you can't, you can't!

Sounds like she might just be a bit bored, what's her water temp around? is she in a place where she can see people at all? I mean, my suggestion would be to give her a space with some other fish or a snail or something but it sounds like you don't have space currently to do that. Otherwise though, she really does look healthy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, poor thing~~ Perhaps one of those betta scoops might be better? I heard the material is softer

Room temperature is around 27*C on cooler days to 30*C on hot days (80-86*F). And all of them are in a spare room. I visit them quite a bit and 'play' with them, though this one ignores me mostly xD I let the bettas see each other 2-3 times a day. I suppose I have room in her jar for 1 small ramshorn snail; maybe I'll put it in and see what she does~~

And okay, I'm glad! I'll just keep an eye on her then, and hope she'll start eating soon. I got some frozen bloodworms/brineshrimp today to see if she'll be interested in those in the morning~ If she doesn't start eating, how long would it be before I should be worried/it's an indication of some problem?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
lol, she could still be acclimating to the new area. Before she was around a lot of fish and a lot of commotion and then suddenly, in her world, it all stops! It's like a little kid that strays from its mom in the grocery store, for the first few moment the kid is happy but then he notices he can't see his mom! It can be frightening! So it sounds like she's still just adjusting to her new "world" and will take some time to get used to it :)

As for eating, well, Remmy in my avatar pic didn't eat for a whole month the first month he was with me and he's currently two years old and sitting pretty in his divided 20 long lol Fish can survive easily 4 months and over without food but after a months time if she still doesn't take food, then yeah I would worry a little more then.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts