Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just completed a water change in my tank with a vacuum and my betta often stresses out. After the water change i saw a noticeable gash on his head with a scale missing and flesh is seen. I am unsure what he cut him self on as I don't have sharp ornaments. He's acting fine but just wondering if there's anything I can do to help him. I have aquarium salt but don't want to use unless absolutely nesscary. He has had scales fall off before (but no flesh seen) and those grow back quickly. How long will this wound take to heal?

Pollinator Petal Insect Plant Beak

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 30 Litres/ 8 Gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 26C/ 77 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega betta buffet pellets
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Three times a day; about 3 small pellets at each feeding

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every week
What percentage of water did you change? About 70%
What is the source of your water? Tap Water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Nothing else and Api conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15 ppms
pH: 7.6
Hardness (GH): N/A
Alkalinity (KH): N/A

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Today
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Has gash on head, scale is missing and can see flesh
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Not much of a noticeable change
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Did a 50% water change
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 3 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Registered
1) 25 litres, Espresso the betta,2) 60 litres with 2 blue rams,3) my cat!
1,211 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much, atleast thats my opinion. I had a guppy that had a scratch and a missing scale near his head, but after two weeks it had healed completely. Putting a catapa leaf or two in his thank would help. And by the way, he's so cute!!

He has had scales fall off before
How did that happen? Did you have any sharp objects, that you have now removed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't worry too much, atleast thats my opinion. I had a guppy that had a scratch and a missing scale near his head, but after two weeks it had healed completely. Putting a catapa leaf or two in his thank would help. And by the way, he's so cute!!

Not too sure how it happened, I don't know if it falls off but a scale will go dark for a day or two. Have seen it happen twice. I did have a plastic plant which I have replaced with silk so hopefully that prevents it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts