Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a betta fish who I noticed this morning has a pop-eye. He was actually hiding. I have him for 2 years since I got him from Petco. I think he is about 2.5 to 3 years old right now. He is in 6 gallon / cycled tank. The water parameters are good: 0 ammonia; 0 nitrite; 5ppm nitrate; pH 7.6. I do weekly water changes of about 35% to 50%. I never skipped those. He has tankmates: two corydoras and one nerite snail.
I have a book on fish diseases that says that it is better to just treat the fish with pop eye by keeping water clean and give to fish a good diet. I changed 50% of water this morning. I came home after work and the pop eye is still there but the fish is very active. He reacted to me, flared up when swimmed by the snail and chased coridoras. He ate. I could tell that he cannot see on the affected eye. I also realized that he was not active in the morning because the lights were on. He is active when lights are off in the aquarium.
Should I just do daily water changes until the eye gets better or should I get medications involved? If I must use medications, which one I can use that would not hurt my cories and my snail? I do not want to separate him because my other one gallon tank is not cycled.
Please help. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Aquarium Salt can help alot, 1 tablespoon per 5 US Gallons. If he is more active with lights off keep them off, if he is moving then osmoregulation will filter the salt through his body. Do frequent water changes and add aquarium salt. Good Luck and Best of Wishes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This morning I noticed swelling under his affected eye. I cannot tell if it is a growth or liaison. Scales around his affected eye are raised but they are not raised anywhere else. Here are the pictures but not sure if they are too accurate in depicting what it looks like.I'm thinking on separating him.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is now isolared in 1.5 gallon tank and I added aquarium salt as suggested by BettaAngel. Thank you!
Does anyone know what is happening to my Betta?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is it waisting disease?

The white stuff under his affected eye is now larger than it was in the morning. He is not very active but ate. What is wrong with him? Please help.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This morning (day 3), the white stuff under my Betta's eye is gone and instead there is a hole. The eye is still the same. He ate this morning. I will be changing water in his tank and will add a little bit of aquarium salt. If he will not be getting better in two days, I will give him medications. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Photo taken this evening (Day 3) is below. The affected eye started to move and I think he can see a little in this eye. I hope he is getting better! He eats but I don't see any fish waste which is very strange for him. I will get different food.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Day 4 morning. It looks like his eye is better. It could be a wishful thinking. I'm still doing daily water changes and adding aquarium salt after. He eats but he looks bored in his 1.5 gallon hospital tank. Does it look like TB?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Hi, I was thinking Epsoms salt would be more the treatment as that is used for bringing down swelling.

Here is the recommendation on this site for the treatment of popeye. It is also possible it could be the begging of Dropsy considering your boys age.

Popeye
•Symptoms: One or both eyes will swell and bulge out. It in itself can also be a symptom of Dropsy.
•Treatment: Usually not fatal if treated, but your betta might lose an eye. Conservative: If the swelling is extreme then use ES first. Perform 100% daily water changes. You may be able to treat the popeye with just Epsom and clean water. However, if the swelling goes down but the eyes remain cloudy/white, then switch to Aq.Salt at 1tsp/gal or use medications. Do not combine Aq.Salt with medications but you can continue to use ES during medical treatments. Medication: If ES or Aq.Salt do not do the trick or it is a serious case of popeye, then combine the ES with API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Beautiful Betta! Today is day 5 and the eye is smaller, but cloudy a little. He is not very active. it could be due to boredom. I will get Epsom salt and will try that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This morning (Day 6), his is eye is getting better. The swelling went down but not completely. I am treating him with aquarium salt and was thinking to switch to Epsom salt today but he is better and it could be due to the treatment. Thus, I will continue with aquarium salt for one more day and switch to Epsom salt tomorrow. For how many days can the Betta fish tolerate salt treatment?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Salt should be used for no more that 10 days.

Glad to see he has improved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you! Im glad he is improving too! So I have another 5 days if needed. I still do not know what that swelling under his eye was which turned into white stuff and then fell off.
But I started to think that I should prepare myself in case he gets sick again and due to his age, heath problems are probably unavoidable.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
he has great care, so I don't think there is much else you can do. It is just age and his immune system is probably weakening a little.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you. Today is day 8 since I first noticed that my Betta's eye was swollen. His eye is much better. It is no longer swollen. It is slightly cloudy but cloudiness almost gone. I'm thinking to move him back to the community tank in two days. I just worry that he will be overly excited there and due to his age, he may not handle it well. He was very active in community tank where he occasionally flared up at snail and chased corries. He is not as active in hospital tank.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I would let him go back to his normal environment when you feel he is ready.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
That is so good to see him back healthy and in his home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts