Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2 gal
Does it have a filter? Yes, but it's off because the current is too strong for him
Does it have a heater? Yes, but I took it out recently in case it was what was bothering him
What temperature is your tank? Not sure
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Usually I do 4-5 in the morning only, but lately he won't eat

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 50% each week, 100% when it's been one month
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip
What additives do you use? Seachem Prime conditioner

Water Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.5
Hardness (GH): 60
Alkalinity (KH): 80

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? about 2-3 days ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Fins are clamped, color has gone from red to a pale silver/white, mostly around his gills and mouth area
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? sits at at the bottom of his tank for most of the day, head looking up, it takes a lot of effort for him to swim up; it looks like he's sinking
Is your Betta still eating? No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? He has had swim bladder disease once before
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? Bought from pet store in April 2015

I have a red male veiltail Betta and he'll be a year old in a few weeks. A few days ago I began noticing he's gotten very lethargic, which is much unlike his usual self. Normally he swims up to greet me whenever I'm nearby or whenever he senses motion. He tries to greet me when he has the energy; when he swims up, though, it looks like it's a great effort for him to move up. It's like there's something weighing him down and he has trouble swimming straight. I suspect he may have swim bladder disease again, since he has trouble eating pellets and often waits until they're completely water logged to consume them. I used to help him eat and then take out the pellets he couldn't eat, but I stopped a while back because I noticed he would eat them in his own time. I think these soaked pellets probably expanded in his stomach too much, as he looks as though he may have a slightly bloated stomach. Another change in him has been in his color; his red isn't as shiny anymore and he's developed a strange whitish-silver color in his stomach area.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
From the photos, he does look bloated. A 2 gal requires 2 water changes a week and I think you should place the heater back in and monitor the water temperature since bettas do prefer 76 - 82 degree water and that'll help reduce the stress he's feeling and up his immune system. I would fast him for 3 days to see if his bloating will go down.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If he has trouble swimming to the top of the tank try lowering the water level so he can get to the surface to breath easier. If you have one put him in a small, heated bare bottom hospital tank. Mine is a 3 gallon kritter carrier. I keep the bottom bare to moniter for bowl movements if they are bloated, like yours is, and it is easier to do water changes, which i do more frequently since I don't filter mine depending on the fishes symptoms. for your fish I think that is a good idea to have it unfiltered and to do 50-70% water changes every other day. Bettas are tropical fish (which I am sure you know since your betta is 1 year old and you had a heater to begin with) so keeping the tank heated is a must because it boosts their immune system and metabolism. A fish in colder water will not need to eat as much as a fish in warmer water. since your fish is bloated don't feed him for 1-3 days and watch for poo to know that the blockage is passing

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would also get a thermometer so you can be sure of the water temperature. PetsMart has a floating thermometer for $3.59.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts