Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My beta fish Frank has got real sick, from reading through this website I have figured out it is a digestive problem, I have changed his water, put him in a shallower bowl and am keeping him warm. Problem is i can't get him to eat the little pieces of pea. And then it just ends up under the stones:(.. I'm really stressed out he is going to die! He is 1 year old. Any help would be great!!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
it is bloating i would fast him...but is hard to tell from that description

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Can you tell us more about his condition? Pictures would be very helpful too.

Just, so you are aware of it, Bettas are carnivores. Their digestive tract is not designed to digest plant material. If you are trying to help his digestive tract, fasting him for three days and then giving him frozen daphnia is a lot better. Daphnia are like a mild laxative for Bettas. Deshelled peas can end up blocking a Betta more.

Does your Betta look very bloated? Have you looked at his scales, are they pine-coning? :(

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Just, so you are aware of it, Bettas are carnivores. Their digestive tract is not designed to digest plant material. If you are trying to help his digestive tract, fasting him for three days and then giving him frozen daphnia is a lot better. Daphnia are like a mild laxative for Bettas. Deshelled peas can end up blocking a Betta more.
I was about the say the same thing. You shouldn't be feeding him a pea. I know most information tells you to feed him a pea. But his digestive tract can't break it down so it will travel through him in one solid piece and could rip the lining of his digestive track

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Don't feed him a pea....

Can you post a photo?

Also, can you fill out the form below so that we have more information? Answer what you can, and leave anything else blank.

------------------------------------------------------
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
What BRAND of food do you feed it?
How often do you feed your betta fish?
How MUCH do you give at each feeding?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish - OR - How long have you owned it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Betta bio gold food.. Had been feeding him 5-6 pellets a day until I found out recently not too. His bowl is 2.5 litre. I have taken the heater out. We got him from the store 1 year ago.
I do a full water change every 1-2 weeks and he has always been fine after that. And I put in betta basics stuff.
He's worse tonight, can hardly get to the top, just lying leaning up against the glass and has a very small white spot on his head.
I really don't want to watch him struggle. Should I kill him? If so how can I do it so it's quick and painless?:(
Have tried to attach a photo but doesn't really show much as he's sort of folded over:(

Attachments

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
ok
1. Your tank is way too small. A gallon is usually in minimum for a betta, but many don't put betta's in tanks less tanks less than 2.5 gallons.

2. You aren't doing enough water changes. If you were to get at least a gallon tank (which i HIGHLY suggest you do) you need to change the water 3 times a week - 2 times with 50% of the water and one 100% of the water.

Food - switch to omega one or new life spectrum. those are high quality pellets.

I know you are going to say that he has lived in this bowl for over a year and he is fine. There is a different between thriving and surviving.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Thanks for the advice, was not really any need to be rude (all the advice I took was from the pet store so thought it was correct) but thanks anyway.
Take this from a pet store employee (coming up on 3 years now), 99.99999% of pet store employees are idiots. Never take pet advice from a pet store employee. Always do your own research. If you want to find an employee you can "trust" come prepared with a couple of questions you already know the answer too. For example, I've had this conversation with people before who I knew were just "quizzing" me-

Customer: I'm looking at getting a new tank, but I keep hearing about cycling what is cycling?
Me: When we talk about cycling we are talking about the nitrogen cycle. Your tank needs to cycle in order to better create a safe environment for your fish.
Customer: Can you tell me how to cycle?
Me: Well there are a couple different methods... (explain methods).

If they tell you to run the filter for 24 hours (what most my coworker would tell you).. you know that person doesn't know what they're doing.

Anyway, what VivianKJean told you is accurate. Improving your fish's home will likely help to improve his health. Poor water quality can cause a lot of problems, but it can easily be fixed. Poor diet can as well, but again it's an easy fix for a happy healthy fish.

ETA: Also, don't trust anyone who isn't willing to admit they don't know the answer to something. A great question to ask is whether a type of fish/animal the store doesn't carry will get along with one it does. So, for example, "I've been thinking about getting a axolotes, do you think it will get along in a tank with a school of tetras?"Likely, unless they sell axolotes, they won't know. If they say, "no" then they do, and try another species combo. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks,

Will never trust a pet store staff member again, I asked a million questions before getting him and it would seem 99% were answered wrong.. Idiots:(

I will look at getting a bigger tank today if I can afford it. Any tips on the white spot on his head, it's a bit bigger today, it almost looks a bit like skin coming off but I can't tell.
Also I just noticed a few wee bits of his tail have come off. Any tips here?
Was thinking of asking my vet (he is the vet for my cat) for advice.
Also should I put the heater back in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Thanks,

Will never trust a pet store staff member again, I asked a million questions before getting him and it would seem 99% were answered wrong.. Idiots:(

I will look at getting a bigger tank today if I can afford it. Any tips on the white spot on his head, it's a bit bigger today, it almost looks a bit like skin coming off but I can't tell.
Also I just noticed a few wee bits of his tail have come off. Any tips here?
Was thinking of asking my vet (he is the vet for my cat) for advice.
Also should I put the heater back in?

Thanks!
Can you try to get a pic of the white spot? It's really hard to tell without seeing a pic, because it could be anything from a fungus, bacterial or even something else.

You can ask your vet, but likely they won't know (if you know a biologist or even environmental biologist they might be a better help). But, I'm sure it won't hurt to ask your vet.

The tail could be biting, but it's likely rot. Rot is caused by poor water conditions. Improve the water (by upping your changes and if possible getting a bigger tank), and you should see it go away.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Do you know the temperature of the water that he is in? Ideally his water should be between 78-80, F (25.5 - 26.5 C), but no lower than 76 F (24.5 C) and no higher than 84 F (29 C) I believe.

With some bacterial infections it is best to keep him at the suggested cooler temperatures, it slows down the progression of the illness to give the chosen medical treatment more time to take effect.

The warmer suggested temperatures ensure well being for the Betta, where his immune-system has a better chance to function.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's the best I can do with the picture. I have moved him to his other bowl, it's taller (only 3 litre though) so I could put the heater in as it's quite cool in Australia today, did another full water change, is every two days enough? Or too much??

He's so sad and not really moving at all. Should I try feeding him? He hasn't ate in days. Is there some sort of medication I should get? I'm off today so can go get the new food and medication and possibly a tank.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.