Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I got my betta about a month ago, he had swim bladder at the time. He's recovered from that. However he has never really been an enthusiastic eater. My other two bettas, particularly the one he has a split tank with is a greedy guts. He loves food. This guy will just kinda hang around his tank, he's not super active. He has lots of foliage to rest at the top, but still will lay at the bottom. Not sure if that's relevant. He isn't generally super interested in food, but when he is he is able to track the food. He'll follow it all the way down to the bottom of the tank, catch it near the bottom, put it in his mouth, but will spit it out. I'm not sure if that means he just hates the flavor?I've tried so many different foods. Pellets, flakes, frozen brine, brine soaked in garlic. Any suggestions? I just need him to eat. Thanks!

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? technically 10, but its divided so he only has five.
Does it have a filter? yes, a sponge filter
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? just what aeration the filter provides. I have an air stone, but its too disruptive to the fish.
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no, but he splits a ten gallon with another betta. They can't see each other.

Food:
What food brand do you use? Fluval bug bites, Aqueon pellets, and frozen brine shrimp.
Do you feed flakes or pellets? both
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once/twice a day, just what they eat in a few minutes.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once every two/three weeks.
What percentage of water did you change? All
What is the source of your water? My tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Remove the gravel, rinse.
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Fluval conditioner & stress coat, Fluval enviro clean, Aqueon water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.
I just changed the water, but these are the levels before.
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:Between 1-3
pH: 7.1
Hardness (GH): not sure how to test for that
Alkalinity (KH): not sure...

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? A little under a month ago I suppose.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? not really. His belly bulge from his swim bladder has gone away.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? I feel that I never really saw his real personality. He was ill when I got him, and this has gone into that.
Is your Betta still eating? Not really, that's the issue.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Multiple foods to temp appetite, water change, tank rearranged.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? yes, had swim bladder.
How long have you owned your Betta? 1 month.
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Yes, swim bladder.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Hello, do you always do 100% water changes? I’ve added a link to a water changing thread for you to read. It’s the very first post on the thread.

im surprised you have ammonia readings in a cycled tank.

Double tail bettas have short bodies that cause their insides to be more squished and compact causing digestive and swim bladder problems which sounds like you know or have researched since you’ve treated your boy for that already 💜
If he is grabbing the pellet and spitting it out he is at least “chewing” it a little and getting small amounts. Looks like your feeding recommended foods except the Aqueon pellets, they have a lot of “fillers” and won’t help you in the long run with a betta prone to digestion problems. I’d keep feeding the bug bites until he gets used to them and eats them readily and then give him the frozen food after he is eating better. I hope this helps at least a little. I’ve got my fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! Thanks for the articles and advice. I do usually change %100 of the water. I'll read the thread on water changes you included thoroughly. I honestly think the small amount of ammonia was from me over feeding him in an attempt to get him to eat something. I have completely changed the water and ammonia is at 0 now.

·
Super Moderator
19,930 Posts
A cycled, 10-gallon tank w/o live plants needs one 50% water change per week. However if you check the parameters before the water change it is 0-0-15, a 25% will do if you use a gravel vacuum. Never a need for 100% water changes in any filtered tank unless you are trying to get rid of meds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A cycled, 10-gallon tank w/o live plants needs one 50% water change per week. However if you check the parameters before the water change it is 0-0-15, a 25% will do if you use a gravel vacuum. Never a need for 100% water changes in any filtered tank unless you are trying to get rid of meds.
Thanks! I'll be mindful of that.

·
Super Moderator
19,930 Posts
You're more than welcome.. That's the schedule I use on any tank 10 gallons and up and they've all kept good parameters.

I agree about feeding. Start with one food and keep at it until a Betta eats. Sometimes they've been feed freeze dried or live and only recognize those as food. It may take a week or two but he won't starve himself. He's not being stubborn; he's just confused.

And if he's a DT, feed him three smaller meals instead of one or two big ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts