Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance if I placed this under the wrong category

I noticed that Drogon's pectoral fins have been getting smaller and what looks like some sort of dark build up around the edges (suspecting mild fin rot), so I'm considering adding some bettafix to his 10 gal. The thing is, it's a completely cycled tank with a marimo moss ball and two mystery snails. I haven't been able to find much on how it will affect everything other than him.

He's been on bettafix before when he was alone in a smaller uncycled tank, I usually just used a lower dosage than recommended on the bottle to prevent any possible labyrinth problems.

I hope that's enough info to start!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I generally don't like to use any medications ending in -fix. They do help, but are generally very easy to overdose. For Fin Rot, the general treatment is warm, clean water and Aquarium Salt or one other med by Seachem (I think, it may be by API). @RusselTheShihTzu knows. Aquarium Salt will kill/hurt your plants. I think Bettafix will, too. It will also crash your cycle, unlike Aq. Salt.

Reactions: AFishyButler

·
Registered
110 Posts
Betta fix can also harm your betta's labyrinth organ, so I'd suggest just doing daily waterchanges.

Reactions: AFishyButler

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'll permanently shelve my bettafix then and have a look at my LFS for Aq. Salt or other meds.

I unfortunately can't do 100% water changes every day, but would doing 50% twice a week work? I just can't do all of it at once.

How will Aquarium salt/ other meds affect the snails? I can always jar my moss ball, but I'll need to set up a temporary tank for my snails if it won't sit well with them.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
37 Posts
The fastest way to cure fin rot is large frequent water changes as much as possible to keep the water clean. I think that 50% twice a week might be a bit too little for changes, but if you absolutely can not do any more changes, it is better than nothing. I would try for 3 times a week at minimum until the fin rot subsides.
I don't know anything about snails, so I can't help you with that, I'm sorry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I can definitely do three times a week. His fin rot is something I've slowly come to notice, and it hasn't worsened over the past few days so I'm more in the stage of preventing it from becoming an emergency.

I'll keep on searching about those snails. I might just place them in another tank since I need to keep the water at a specific hardness for them, and my tap water is quite soft, so always changing the water might be bad for them.

·
Super Moderator
22,932 Posts
The only way to know if your Betta has fin rot is to see a photo. Fin rot is 99% caused by poor habitat maintenance and is actually quite rare. On this forum we see any number of people who think their Betta has fin rot when it's either fin biting or a natural color or coloration change.

As far as I know, and I've done a ton of research, I cannot find any studies which prove "fix" meds will 1) crash a cycle; or, 2) harm your Betta's labrynith organ. Both beliefs are widely-spread and anecdotal. If you have such a study please let us know.

Melafix Dangers; Betta, Labyrinth Fish, Pencil Fish

Bettafix will not harm fish unless it is overdosed or water is too soft and acidic However, as the article notes, it is very mild. IMO, it does nothing more than can be done with clean, warm water.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll try and snag a pic of him, he's not very photo-friendly.

Thanks for clearing up the bettafix matter!

I do 50% water changes every week and a 100% water change every three weeks, so I was a little surprised to see his pectoral fins shrink. I never thought of fin biting, since it would be pretty hard to reach. I attached a quick drawing of what it is while I wrestle with my camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd do 75% not a 100. That can cause a mini cycle.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Betta-fix is not harmful, there are somethings that could happen, it you have very acidic water it could turn into tupintine which would be rare I think the acidity of the water would be so high fish can not live in it, It does work but it is the bactine of treatments, it gets the bad rap because people with little to no fish keeping experience try to use it to treat serious illnesses. it would be like trying to treat brain cancer with tylenol , and when it doesn't work blaming the tylenol. Another member and I on here experimented with it and we got up to I want to say around 10x the recommended does with zero ill effects on a betta, to over dose it you would really have to use a ton.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts