Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our boy, Jimmy, has developed these red looking spots/scratches on top of his head (pics below). If you look at the pictures he also has this grayish blueish spot in his head, its almost like a small indent. His appetite is fine but he has been just chilling in the back not really swimming around. Just bought him a floating log which he is curious about and has been a bit more active tonight. Many thoughts about what could have caused it. First, he had a tiki to hide in since we brought him home from the store 7 months ago. HE LOVED IT! But a few days ago we noticed his chunky butt almost got stuck coming out of the mouth, so we took it out and thought maybe he was scratching his head on it going in and out since he's a lot bigger now. Also, about a week ago we moved his tank to a different spot in the house. And #3 we just put in a heater about a week ago (when we moved him). And last but not least, we got a new fish about a week or two ago as well. We put them on same long table (they are divided so they wont stress each other out). Now when we moved them, Jimmy was there first with an empty tank next to him. He was chill. We added Suzy in the other tank a couple days later (before putting a barrier between them). She was super happy and excited, he freaked out! So we put the barrier up and he seemed ok. He also started building a bubble nest about 3 days ago. These scratches or ulcers or whatever they are all happened within the last week. Just trying to see if anybody knows what they are? I did buy bettafix because it says for fins and skin but have not used it as of yet until I asked. Thanks guys

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Nothing

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2 or 3x a day (usually like 3 pellets each time)

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of water did you change? About 50%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip, just used vacuum first time last week
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Only use conditioner- AquaSafe for Bettas

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH:8-8.5 (the color is so close to both on the strip)
Hardness (GH): 180
Alkalinity (KH): 80

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi,
I would not use bettafix as I’ve heard that it can coat the labyrinth organ on bettas. Instead try to keep the water clean by doing the water changes so that it doesn’t get infected. Add Indian almond leaves or rooibos tea if you can’t get the Indian almond leaves. The Indian almond leaves and the rooibos tea both have antibacterial properties.

·
Super Moderator
22,709 Posts
Sorry to say but it is yet another Internet myth that the "fix" meds are harmful. Reports are mostly anecdotal: My fish was sick + I treated with Bettafix = My fish died. Here is research that may give you the information you need Melafix Dangers; Betta, Labyrinth Fish, Pencil Fish

That being said, as NightStars suggested, IAL or plain Rooibos Tea are more natural alternatives. Using one of those and keeping his tank extra clean is all he needs.

Can you please fill out the entire form? Even if you've answered in text the form allows quick reference to the most important information. Thank you.

Almost forgot: Your Betta could be going through a color change. Many carry the marble gene so it happens pretty often.

·
Registered
373 Posts
@RussellTheShihTzu:
Ah okay, that’s good to know about the bettafix. Thank you for linking the research 😊

1 - 5 of 5 Posts