Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hai hai everyone in the wonderful betta fish community!

Sadly an unexpected event has unfolded in my dorm building late Sunday night. Me and my roommate were straightening our hair and watching tv. We both adopted a betta from the walmart close by Sushi (mine) and Squirt (hers). Well someone ended up setting off the fire alarm and we had to run down 6 flights of stairs (we live on the top floor). In the end some girl who was straightening her hair set it off on accident. But I was worried about our fish because I don't know much about their ability to hear/feel vibrations.

When we check our betta's they were hiding and terrified I'm sure. Ever since then my Betta Sushi has darted away when ever I put my finger close to the aquarium. He use to always swim to my finger and be perfectly fine but now he seems on edge.

I just want to ask if betta's can become damaged from high pitched fire alarm sounds? Will he be ok? How long will he be jumpy? I don't know how their whole "hearing" works so if it can be explained I would appreciate it. Thanks! <3

·
Registered
185 Posts
I honestly do not know how well bettas can hear, but if yours are frightened, I can only think that maybe they felt the vibration from the high-pitched alarms. They should get over it eventually. My CT Cobalt got frightened by my cat after she was messing with his tank, and whenever he saw me he would spaz and swim to the back of the tank to hide. It only lasted for about a week, though.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Your fish has been frightened, and is shying away from anything that it perceives as a potential threat - even you. It could take a week or more for him to relax and become friendly again. In the meantime, be extra cautious around him and don't do any sudden movements that will cause him to freak.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
More than the alarm, which they can hear perfectly well, they were probably upset by the clamor and vibration of running feet. Instead of feeding them once a day, always have food on your fingers when you approach the tank. This will get them friendly in no time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I move to him slowly and it is just when I touch the tank with my finger. I show him when I feed him and he seems normal other than that. I guess when I touch his tank he assumes I'm going to hit it hard now. :c I just wanted to make sure I wasn't causing him more stress.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts