Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I thought my fish had fin rot because the tips of his fins, mostly his dorsal fin, were a faint white. My fish was still as active as ever and I was advised that it was probably his fins regrowing because fin rot is usually black. This morning I noticed that his dorsal fin is ripped in half about halfway down the fin! I've been doing water changes every few days (2 gallon heated, unfiltered tank) and he still has white on the edges of some fins. He is still extremely active, has a great appetite, and displays no typical signs of illness.

I've attached a picture of the fin split, does this look like fin rot or just physical damage? I have some packets of Maracyn 2, should I treat it with that? Or just keep doing water changes?

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't think that's fin rot. Because like you said, fin rot looks ragged and sore. What decorations are in the tank? Because he could have gotten caught on one and tore the fin. Or fin biting maybe?

Edit: Or he could have blown a fin? Does he flare a lot?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a plant and a little Army tank for him to hide in, but neither are too sharp and the split looks pretty clean. I have never heard of blowing a fin, what's that? Sometimes I turn on his LED light and he gets pretty excited and patrols the tank and does flare a lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts