Betta's Fins Completely Gone In One Day

633 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  HeatherL1616 
#1 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 56 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? Around 76 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, Marineland HOT Magnum
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? about 7 guppies, 2 platinum mollies, 2 oto cats, 1 whiptail/twig cat, 5 zebra longfin danios, some kuli loaches, and one teensy tiny fantail goldfish.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari micro pellets and algea wafers
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Bi weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechlorinator / heavy metal remover

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.2 ( I know, it's high - working on it)
Hardness: ....
Alkalinity: ....

Symptoms and Treatment

He did die this morning, but I need advice because I still have one more betta and I don't know what to do if this happens again.

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He was fine Thursday morning before I went to work at 8am, then I came home at about 4:30 and ALL of his beautiful fins were gone!! I could see little fillaments trailing behind him but the fins were not on them anymore (does that make sense??!) He had also turned partially white from about his stomach back. It did NOT look like ick. It wasn't fuzy or patchy, it was uniform and looked like when a reptile is about to shed its skin. I took him out immediately and put him in a large CLEAN mason jar with water from the aquarium just to make due until I could figure out something.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He seemed fine, just a little down, obviously. He was still swimming around and everything.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Thursday night.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I put a few drops of API bettafix in the tank.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him since Sunday. I got another betta the same day and he seems fine. I want to put him in the big tank now that my other one died, but I need to know what happened so he doesn't die too!

See less See more
#5 ·
I unfortunately don't have any pictures. And I'm very freaked out because my tank is well established and what happened to him was so sudden and out of the blue.
As for the graphite... I don't know. This picture where you can see where the snake has and hasn't shed yet is the best idea I could give you.

#6 ·
It didn't really look like columnaris, plus I keep a very close eye on my tank. I had been paying especially close attention to the betta because he was still new and I wanted to make sure no one was picking on him. I did not see anything wrong with him Thursday morning. And when I did come home it didn't look likt hey had been torn off, they looked like they disolved off. It looked like all of the fin webbing between the fillaments had literally disolved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.