Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last year I have had 2 female bettas living together in harmony. Today they are trying to kill each other. Their fins are torn. I seperated them. But I can't forever

·
Reference Team
706 Posts
Bettas really aren't suited to live together ever IMO . They will not play nice now that they've got maturity and are at odds. Are you 100% without options ? If you want them both to live full lives you'll need an option that doesn't include them living together .

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bettas really aren't suited to live together ever IMO . They will not play nice now that they've got maturity and are at odds. Are you 100% without options ? If you want them both to live full lives you'll need an option that doesn't include them living together .

Some betta sororitys work. I have a 10 gallons with 5 peaceful females.
In my 36 gallon the two females just recently started fighting, after being together for over a year.

·
Reference Team
706 Posts
I understand that .. But only staying this after watching sorority tanks over the last several years and never have I seen one actually "successful " . The attacking you see is only the absolute last level of aggression. Many more subtle behaviors are aggressive that might not really seem so . Often it's not this outright aggression that kills sorority tank mates.. More then anything it's subdued aggression and stress leading to lowered immune systems and outbreaks of disease .

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Some betta sororitys work. I have a 10 gallons with 5 peaceful females.

In my 36 gallon the two females just recently started fighting, after being together for over a year.

For how long?

Things work till they don't. I had 2 male golden wonder killis together for well over a year as mature specimens. One day the 125 wasn't big enough for the two of them. It's stuff like that that keeps us on our toes ;-)

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Two can be a potentially dangerous number, even if they have been cohabitating without issue previously - although as Agent13 has said, aggression can often be very subtle/imperceptible to humans early on.

If they are fighting aggressively now, I would keep them permanently separated. At over a year old, they are mature fish, and it's probably only going to get worse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.