Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I started a new tank and was surprised to find eggs on day 2. I wasn’t even done planting my tank. The eggs have hatched on the end of the 3rd day. Took mom out of the tank and dad is tirelessly picking up the falling fry and spitting them back at the nest. My local fish store sold me hikari first bites to begin feeding when they are free swimming. I know microworms would be best for now but I was unprepared. When the fry mature some more, should i reintroduce mom? Do I leave dad in there too? I will watch closely if he seems to turn on the fry. I’m excited but also feeling the pressure 😅 This is my first time experiencing this. Thank goodness for Google…
Water Liquid Automotive lighting World Underwater

Automotive tire Tire Tape measure Wood Gas

·
Super Moderator
2,086 Posts
Hi @alika! Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your successful spawning! @indjo is the breeding expert, but I thought I would give you some of what I know. I recommend checking out the stickies in the breeding part of the forum, if you haven't already.

You will want to take dad out once the fry are free-swimming. You will also want to keep the male and female in separate tanks or a divided tank, until/unless you intend to breed again. Keeping them together will most likely result in the death of one or both. You will also want to set up a brine shrimp hatchery soon.

Keep us updated on the progress of the fry! And good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi @alika! Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your successful spawning! @indjo is the breeding expert, but I thought I would give you some of what I know. I recommend checking out the stickies in the breeding part of the forum, if you haven't already.

You will want to take dad out once the fry are free-swimming. You will also want to keep the male and female in separate tanks or a divided tank, until/unless you intend to breed again. Keeping them together will most likely result in the death of one or both. You will also want to set up a brine shrimp hatchery soon.

Keep us updated on the progress of the fry! And good luck!
Thanks Katie!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The male will help the young to go in bubulle nest until they can stay stable and free swimming, at this time take out male
After 3 days normaly is ok and they will start to eat, mini daphnia are the best like starter for some, or infusoria and after 3 more day you can feed bbs, when u want be succesfull with betta you try to make set up with a lot of plant, it will help to get natural infusoria until they able to eat bbs
for high rate of babies never change water same other aquarium, just add water(same temperature) for not shock the babies this is N1 mistake, when you have to much water take out and add with drop system,
male and female cannot be add again with babies if they can go inside their mounth. .
you can kept all betta together 6 month in big container or tank 50 fish for 90 L is good
after you select and make normal individual set up,
good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The male will help the young to go in bubulle nest until they can stay stable and free swimming, at this time take out male
After 3 days normaly is ok and they will start to eat, mini daphnia are the best like starter for some, or infusoria and after 3 more day you can feed bbs, when u want be succesfull with betta you try to make set up with a lot of plant, it will help to get natural infusoria until they able to eat bbs
for high rate of babies never change water same other aquarium, just add water(same temperature) for not shock the babies this is N1 mistake, when you have to much water take out and add with drop system,
male and female cannot be add again with babies if they can go inside their mounth. .
you can kept all betta together 6 month in big container or tank 50 fish for 90 L is good
after you select and make normal individual set up,
good luck
Thank you! The fry are free swimming as of today but I don’t know if they’re doing so good… I fed them once so far but they are struggling to swim. They are either skimming the top of the water or sinking down slowly after attempts to get to the top. Water has not been changed or messed with. No ammonia or nitrates, about 81 degrees, pH around 7.5. Some are even sticking to the sides of the glass.

·
Super Moderator
2,086 Posts
Have you read through any of the stickies in the breeding section? This one has lots of good information about what to feed fry. This one has really good information about everything to do with fry. Unfortunately since I have never actually bred bettas, I am not familiar with this stage of their growth. I have heard that they do much better on live food than on prepared food because they naturally go after things that move.

·
Super Moderator
7,405 Posts
Newly hatched fry are often too lazy to swim around. That's why some may starve before the first two weeks.

Try vigorously vibrating small stick or finger on water surface. When most fry gather, release food.

There is no guarantee that they will eat. But at least they can find food if they're hungry
. . . . . . . .
Do not reintroduce parents once removed. Though good parents will not eat betta fry, but most will. You dont want to chance it.

Congrats . . . . now the real fun begins

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Newly hatched fry are often too lazy to swim around. That's why some may starve before the first two weeks.

Try vigorously vibrating small stick or finger on water surface. When most fry gather, release food.

There is no guarantee that they will eat. But at least they can find food if they're hungry
. . . . . . . .
Do not reintroduce parents once removed. Though good parents will not eat betta fry, but most will. You dont want to chance it.

Congrats . . . . now the real fun begins
Thanks so much! After much hemming and hawing over keeping dad in, even though he seemed to be doing a great job, I have decided to remove him :( I can only count about 4 fry at the moment. I am thinking he may have snacked on a few. There were only about 8-10 to begin with. If not that, my other thought is that my tank is 20 gal tall (again, unintentional breeding) and they were not strong enough swimmers in the early stages. Don’t know for sure just a thought that crossed my mind. I would love if even 1 of these fry survive. One seems bigger than the others and is more active retrieving food. Instinctively I’ve been agitating the water a bit when I feed so that they can move. The tank is still pretty clean as far as water quality is concerned but food is starting to collect on the bottom. I have 5 snails hard at work. I’m too nervous to clean the tank still while the fry are still barely visible to the eye lol

·
Super Moderator
7,405 Posts
I sometimes breed in 12" deep (50g) and 16-20" (2m pool) without any problems (fry swimming). IMO, the bigger the tank, fry food must be all over the tank, hence I prefer to feed infusoria or daphnia which I try to produce in the fry tank .

Few fry in a 20g, you don't really need to water change until about 2 weeks. You might even get away with a month. Just make sure there isnt to much decaying leftovers.

Congrats on (at least one) healthy fry. You'll be able to watch it grow and develop

*** Sorry for the double post

1 - 10 of 10 Posts