Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of your bettas obsessed/interested in gravel vacs? I already accidentally ripped a small part of my EEPK because he got so curious and swam in front of it....

Now my teeny tiny female is so interested it. She LOVES to swim in front of it while I'm cleaning....

Don't they realize that gravel vacs = danger?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have many fish that are like that. I always keep ready to kink the tube in case any get sucked in. c.c I had a blue dwarf gourami named Capone who absolutely loved it.

Just be careful. They don't realize it's danger, they just find it a curiosity, also they see that stuff going up the tube and want it. lol Since YOU know it can damage or kill them, you gotta be very watchful. I like to giggle about it, makes it less frustrating. Do keep a hand prepared to kink though, they're usually fine in the tube, but if they hit the back area it's gonna mess them up.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Fish can be odd, fortunately none of my bettas got on the business end of the siphons I use for cleaning but I have a batch of otos that use to like to play "dart under/around the siphon" when I cleaned tank. Almost sucked one up into the tube once but ripped it out of the water to break suction so the fish just fell back in... They still played around it when I restarted the siphon >.< these were otos I house with Atist'oto' my blue delta (rip)... He use to eat. Echoes and algae wafers with them... The whole bun h were just odd balls, seem to have personality traits rub off cross species.

If I do a water change on my community tank too close to feeding time the cherry barbs will swim all over and it sucking in (then spitting back out and repeat again) all the floating bits of debris in the water that I'm trying to get out... No ones gotten sucked in yet though.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i have some netting on the end of my vac to be safe. and I am extra careful. Bettas are smart though, so I would think that eventually they would learn that they should avoid it. I was able to teach them where in the tank to expect food so they automatically go to that spot at feeding time.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
I always say to people that put a net in my wild betta tanks and I will not be able to find a single fish. Put a siphon in and I am literally hitting fish away from it with my hand.

I've sucked a ton of fish up my siphon. I normally try to use a siphon that is wide enough my fish can pass through. Once however, one of my more curious females got her head stuck at the end of the siphon and I had to blow her back out.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yeah, my little guy is very curious and practically attacks it. I try to keep it submerged in the gravel to avoid any injuries but I have had some close calls. It can be a little nerve wracking. My big guy couldn't care less, he's seen it all before.

The netting is a very good idea.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, the netting works well. Its just plastic netting i found at a craft store - soft and pilable and has big enough "holes" so that poop and other waste can easily be sucked up but small enough so that no betta heads can fit through.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Schmendrick the Magician finds the siphon(as well as everything else new) extremely fascinating and will attempt to get in front of it or eat whatever moves towards it. He's almost gotten in there once but I pulled the siphon up before he got sucked in. After that I took him out and put him in some Tupperware for his water changes, it scared me so much. Now that he's in a larger tank, it's a little less scary but he still doesn't realize what it does apparently and continues to be near it. He also follows me constantly whenever I use airline tubing in his tank to remove excess malm and other debris from plants and small crevices. I find that more cute since it can't hurt him.

Netting sounds like a good idea for him and the siphon. I'll think I'll do that since he doesn't seem to be letting up and the Tupperware scares him.

Skyline used to be similar about it but now he moves out of the way or tries to bite me.. better me than the siphon. Sheesh darts to a corner whenever the siphon goes in and flares at it or mopes at the bottom, presumably in protest. He reminds me of a cat scared of the vacuum cleaner, hissing from a safe distance.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the netting is great. I found it for very cheap (under $5 at a craft store here in NYC) and just cut it to fit the opening and secured it with a rubber band.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I always say to people that put a net in my wild betta tanks and I will not be able to find a single fish. Put a siphon in and I am literally hitting fish away from it with my hand.

I've sucked a ton of fish up my siphon. I normally try to use a siphon that is wide enough my fish can pass through. Once however, one of my more curious females got her head stuck at the end of the siphon and I had to blow her back out.
Maybe hold the net next to/against the siphon (not over it) to scare them away?

·
Registered
627 Posts
One of my males is terrified of the siphon, another flares at it but doesn't get near the business end of it, the third doesn't give a flying poo.

ALL of the females in my sorority LOVE exploring the bottom end of it though! I've sucked up a couple of them, luckily saved them before they got pulled too far up.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Strangely, not a single one of my ten bettas is at all interested in the gravel vacuum. Nobody has ever even come close to being sucked in.

But, if any part of my hand and/or fingers gets in any of the girls' tanks all bets are off... :lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ugh, the gravel vac. It's a useful tool, yes, but all of the dang fish seem to think it's a toy. (Unless that fish happens to be Sapphire. Then it is regarded as a full-on archnemesis. :dunno:) It would be so much easier if I could just leave it in one spot as it drains the water, but no, I have to move it all over the place to keep the fish from getting severe injuries. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
My girls bite me when I siphon :< I usually have to shoo them away with my other hand. It got to the point where if I do a deep clean (taking out all the decor) I just cup them now. Less stress.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Two of my bettas were curious about the siphon at first and would try to bite it (they literally think everything is food) but eventually got bored and used to it. My other girl couldn't care less. My corys on the other hand love swimming under it. I accidentally sucked one up the other day! Luckily it was fine but they make me so nervous.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts