Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum to ask questions..

I bought a 10 gallon tank for my betta that's been in a 1 gal bowl for 4 years. For the new tank I'm going to fill it with tap water with water conditioner thing I have that came with the tank. I have never conditioned tap water so I am very cautious and don't really wanna do it. D:

The question is: Will my betta get sick or suffer some shock if it gets switched from bottled drinking water to conditioned water??

It's been in bottled water for 4 years so I'm kinda scared something will happen to him. . . >_<;

·
Registered
113 Posts
When i switched my guys over from spring water to tap and dechlorinator they took tp it pretty well but...they weren't in it for 4 years. Im kinda new to fish keeping myself but there are tons of ppl here that will help you out. By the way welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
891 Posts
one thing to be aware of is if your water treatment covers more than just Chlorine and Cloramine. They make Betta-specific treatments that also address hard water and other concerns.

This is a heated ten gallon right? Important to heat a tank that size...

Other than that, take a ziplock or similar sandwich bag, fill it with your current water and betta, seal it and let it float in the new tank for 15 min (i usually wait a 1/2 hour or more) for him to get Acclimated to the temp and new surroundings, then open the bag and let him swim out.

If you ever add another/ more fish, don't let the bag water enter the tank because it can contaminate your tank, but this is okay because he's the only fish and he's already been in that water

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

I haven't set up the tank yet because I don't have a heater at the moment. But I will buy one soon! I'm just worried if my betta will get trippy switching from spring to conditioned water.

I also plan to add a coupld of ghost srimp too. :]

·
Registered
891 Posts
hold off on the shrimp for a month or so otherwise there won't be enough for them to eat.

Spring water is pretty much the same stuff that comes out of your tap, they just add a couple chemicals like Chlorine to keep it clean and uncontaminated as it runs though the pipes to get to your tap, and Floride for our teeth. I've actually seen this in a plant where the water comes up from an artesian spring, and then went either left to be bottled, or right to become city water.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Do not just switch hi from the old water to the new water.
There's no problem in switching, the problem is on how you do it.
Floting him in a bag or container is good to get him used to the new temparature but you have to get him used to the water as well.
Place him in a container with the old water and add about 25% of the new water. After a couple of hours change 25% of the water and replace with the new water. Do this 3-5 times and then place him in his new tank.
It's very important he gets used to the new water chemistry.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Make sure the bag won't collapse, and wouldn't blow in it otherwise he's just breathing in carbon monoxide... it's wiser and safer to use the cup they came in with the lid or a tupperware container. (You can get a replacement cup at a Petsmart/Petco- you will need one for the water changes anyways).

one thing to be aware of is if your water treatment covers more than just Chlorine and Cloramine. They make Betta-specific treatments that also address hard water and other concerns.

Other than that, take a ziplock or similar sandwich bag, fill it with your current water and betta, seal it and let it float in the new tank for 15 min (i usually wait a 1/2 hour or more) for him to get Acclimated to the temp and new surroundings, then open the bag and let him swim out.

If you ever add another/ more fish, don't let the bag water enter the tank because it can contaminate your tank, but this is okay because he's the only fish and he's already been in that water
Normally just floating them in the cup they came in (or tupperware, whatever you have with a lid on it that can float in the tank) for 30 mins works. Every 5 to 10 mins remove a little bit of the water from the cup and add in tank water. You DON'T want to not acclimate him to the chemistry of the water- very high risk of shock and death.... ..
You don't need and really want to play with the pH, hardness of the water- what you want is just any water conditioner (Prime is the best brand) that removes chlorine, nitrate/ites and if you can find one that binds metals, even better.

hold off on the shrimp for a month or so otherwise there won't be enough for them to eat.

Spring water is pretty much the same stuff that comes out of your tap, they just add a couple chemicals like Chlorine to keep it clean and uncontaminated as it runs though the pipes to get to your tap, and Floride for our teeth. I've actually seen this in a plant where the water comes up from an artesian spring, and then went either left to be bottled, or right to become city water.
No on Spring water (sorry EvilVOG)... spring, bottled, filtered, distilled aren't healthy for them- they don't have the nutrients and minerals that is needed to keep them healthy. The filtration process removes them (even the "mineral water"). Tap water/well water is pretty much the only water one should be using with the bettas.

Wait until your tank is fully cycled before adding in any shrimp. (You should as it is for the betta- but they are pretty hardy and with the appropriate water changes and continuous testing the water it should be ok).
I'm surprised he lasted 4 years with no water conditioner- normally after only a short time they start to have ammonia/nitrate poisoning and burns, even with spring water- just goes to show you were doing the correct water changes :)
Wish you luck- get the heater, baffle the filter, 30-50% water changes a week with weekly to bi-weekly siphoning of the substrate, use water conditioner and he should be fine.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Misunderstood me there, He's been keeping it in bottled water. I was explaining that there really is little difference between that and tap water other than What they treat it with to survive the pipe ride to your house, flouride for your teeth, and what it picks up from the pipes. I've seen it at the bottling plant. Aquafina (a popular bottled water) is actually contracted to supply the city water to many cities in this state. And is virtually identical to the water that will come out of my tap and probably yours too.

Not saying that it's healthy tho, just trying to ease his mind. If the Betta lived in bottled water, conditioned tap water will be fine for him.

And hard water (at least around here) means heavy metals and all that other stuff water conditioner takes care of.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
sorry to butt in, but what do you all think about the special bottled aquarium water especially for Bettas that I see at PetCo?

I don't have any Bettas yet, just researching for now, thanks!

I will probably be purchasing my future fish at PetCo, are they well thought of?

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
roger that, thank you. By the way, What is baffle the filter??
To control and slow down the output of the filter- a lot of times they are too strong for the boys, and ends up creating drag on their fins. Which can either stress them too much, rip their fins, etc. Just makes it hard for them to come up for air.

There are a couple of ways to baffle:
Add in a secondary (aquarium) sponge in the outflow section of the filter, use a rubber band to hold it into the outflow part itself, some have luck using a rubber band and partially wrapping a sponge around the intake section on the bottom. Or you can try the bottled version of it.

Filters in small tanks (under 5 gals) isn't necessary- so if there are too many issues then you would just have to make up for the lack of it by doing 2 water changes a week- 1 50% and 1 100%.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.