Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I bring two questions for you today.

1. I've been betta-shopping because my baby died last month, and I've taken several trips to my local Petco without really picking anything because I'm noticing that most bettas have really weird heads. It seems like their faces don't end on a tip where their famous betta pout should be. They look rather rounded, instead of more conical. I've also seen a post on IG from a betta-keeper that gets bullied about her betta having a "salmon-face." Have you heard of this term and are these two related? And what causes it, bad breeding? I've tried to do some research but haven't had any luck.

2. At Petco (sorry, I'm limited for choice here haha) I'm also seeing some fish labeled as "betta splenda". I don't know if they just have "betta splendens" mixed up and mislabeled (which is strange, the other types (super delta, veiltail, crowntail etc.) are clearly labeled without any "splenda" on the label) or this is an actual type of betta. They seem to be smaller than the others, but I don't know if this is an actual type of betta or they're just selling juveniles as a different type. I also tried to look this up but again, no luck, so I'm asking you guys.

Hope you have some information for me!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Bettas can have a huge variety of head shapes caused by their genetics (did their parents have round heads or were spoon headed?) I've attached an image with the some of the most commonly seen head shapes

The species of betta fish you will see at chain pet stores are almost all guaranteed to be betta splendens, and may even be splenden hybrids because they have been crossed with other species of betta in the splenden complex such as imbellis, mahachai, smaragdinas and others to create strains such as metallics and dragons.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for this info. Yes, all of them are betta splendens as far as I can tell, I was just wondering if the head shape could be a defect from bad breeding.

Do you have any info on the betta splenda, or what it could mean?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.