Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1633 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hatzie update, one eye looks normal! The other is still puffy but I think it looks darker/ less hazy. Just did a water change for him and one for Stormy. Hatzie's Nitrates were at 50! That is the highest I have seen in my tanks. But his ammonia was 0. With no filter? But he does have happy live plants that grow fast. I thought Nitrates were a by-product of an actual filter loaded with beneficial bacteria. ? And since he didn't have a filter I only checked ph and ammonia for him. I have a lot to learn. I try to take care of these precious little lives! I read often about bettas but so much info is confusing or advice is contradictory.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
^perhaps they are going to change the packaging? I've noticed some stores will put things on clearance just for that reason.

How many gallons is Antigua's tank? He has so much room to explore! :D

Love the cartoons!!! he is so funny..... it IS hilarious when they flare, just cause they are soooo tiny.... It's like chihuahuas.... so brave...

Get better soon, Hatzallah!
And mini horses! The smaller they are the more "tough" they have!

Thank you for the well wishes!

Antigua is in a 29 or 30 gallon tank. It was given to us years ago and it has been in our barn unoccupied for a decade. So I am not exactly sure. Antigua loves it though, he is a very busy guy and fast too, being a plakat. He is so spoiled. ;-) oh, random cute fact. Next to his floating log is a suction cup with plastic leaves. One leaf is at water level and another leaf an inch below. He sleeps there. He looks absolutely adorable. I call it his "betta sandwich". He looks like he is sleeping between two Ritz crackers. Hehehehe...

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I am going to put Hatzallah back in his real tank soon. I have it all set up and took his heater out of the quarantine and into the glass tank. Now just waiting for the water to reach the correct temperature. So I was looking at my records...on 9-9-15 Hatzie's water was 6.8 ph and I did a 50% water change. Then suddenly his ph was 6.0 (maybe lower! Test doesn't go lower). I checked it from the sink and it was at 6.0. We have well water. We had a lot of rain a few days ago, I am wondering if that caused the fluctuation. And would that in itself cause pop eye? Or enough stress that when I moved the plant his body couldn't fight the bacteria I stirred up? Just been thinkin' a lot about what might have happened. I put some bio-foam from Antigua's filter and used it to baffle the out-flow of Hatzie's filter. So hopefully that will jumpstart a cycle for him.

So Hatzie looks pretty good this morning. One eye has no swelling and is black (his normal eye color) and the other looks *slightly* puffy and *slightly* cloudy. I think he wants to be back home though.

I am sitting next to Simeon's tank and he is staring at me with puppy dog eyes.

The heater still hasn't cut off! The hospital tank is cooling off... I wonder if I am going about this the right way. Well, it is still above 81, I was keeping Hatzie nice and snug.

I am seriously thinking about getting some tank mates for Antigua and Simeon. Simeon needs some entertainment as he isn't good at finding things to do, he tends to glass surf quite a bit. Antigua is always content and busy but he has room for some "friends"-or "frenemies". Antigua is so laid back I don't think he would mind too much. It has to be something that likes warm water. Not really interested in snails and while I like frogs, those African dwarf frogs don't do much for me. I LOVE shrimps but I would worry about them getting injured and now I know my ph is subject to fluctuation. So far I am thinking a few guppies? And some more silk plants. I think the guppies would be easy to rehome if need be.

...still waiting on temperature... Going to get another cup of tea.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Hatzie is so happy to be home! I would say he is 90% better. I uploaded a picture of him in quarantine but maybe it is too sad to share. He was so pitiful.

Here is a happy one of Simeon! He is so buff looking. Reminds me of a military man.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Are you ready for this? :lol:

I got guppies.

I must say, Simeon doesn't really seem to care. He might chase them like 2 inches, sometimes, but usually he is like, "eh, whatever."

That didn't stop me from using their pictures to make a comic and completely misrepresenting reality with my talking fish. Fiction can be fun.

Part one:

Part two:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
lol love the little comics you do with your bettas. Simeon shouting "Fairies!" is priceless :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Awesome journal!! :) Your tanks and your bettas are so cool!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
LOL, thank you. :)

I learned today that Antigua absolutely cannot have guppies in with him! Worst field trip ever for poor Lyle and Lemonade! Antigua chased the full blast and Lyle leapt out of the water and Antigua did too! I got them out of there! Back to Simeon! Antigua is TOO FAST, Mr. Plakat! The guppies had the nerve to go into Antigua's bedroom (his suction cup leaves and betta log) and it was on! I was horrified. Then I pouted for a long time. I finally decided I will probably switch tanks. Simeon and guppies will go to the 29 and Antigua to the 20. Antigua throws the biggest fits when his aquarium changes. He will probably lay on the bottom for at least a day, sulking, if move him. I hate to do it...

I checked out a fish store I hadn't been to before and had a great time! It is an independent shop owned and run by a lovely couple. They had so many plants and wood for aquariums. I got a neat sword plant called a Rubin. It has reddish leaves. Also got some anarchis, cobomba and micro sword. I may have spelled those names wrong. It was way better than the fish store I usually go to.

I need to take more pictures of Simeon so I can do part 3!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just a little update. :)

Everyone seems to be doing well. The guppies have been here 2 weeks now. Simeon continues to...not care. He even stops and lets them "go first" when they cross paths. Today I got some Omega One "mini pellets" for them to replace the flakes the fish store had. Is it weird I bought fish from an actual fish store but had to buy quality food from PetSmart? The mini pellets seem to be the same as the betta pellets but much smaller- and it comes with a serving spoon. :) So that is good, Simeon can eat the same thing as them now. He didn't like those flakes and they have super itty-bitty mouths and can't eat betta pellets. Everyone agrees, Omega One micro pellets are nom. Nom, nom, nom. They also like frozen brine shrimp and live mosquito larva. I think this winter I will try flightless fruit flies. We like live wiggly food here.

I call the guppies "gummies" because they LOOK like a package of gummy candies, all tiny and brightly colored.

Here are some gummies:

Lyle, light yellow front, grey/lavender back end
Max, bright yellow front, dark blue back
Arthur, ocelot spots?
Goldie, orange and white "goldfish" color

Need to upload a picture of Lemonade and Spotty.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)

Spotty and Lemonade! And Max, too.

Right now I am watching Antigua build a bubble nest. He is sooooooooooooo cute. Oh oh, now he is staring at me. *love*

Eta: a picture of Antigua from aboooooove, look at that cute stripe! It is changing color, like the rest of him! Getting darker. Sweetie.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Oooooooohhh my goodness. I now have SIX BETTAS.

*hides*

I saw him on Tuesday when I went to get the guppy food. Pretty little white crowntail. I oooo'ed and aaaah'ed but didn't have enough money to get him and a heater. And besides, I was behaving! I don't need 6 bettas. Pssssh.

But then I kept thinking about him.

I cleaned the shelves in my "fish room" because we no longer homeschool in there (too many fish!). So now I have this empty shelf. Empty shelf in my fish room! It doesn't need to be empty. Oh my gosh, my reasoning. I would be embarrased, but I am safe here on bettafish.com. And the Husband gave me money to quote, "spend however you like".

Anyways...so my daughter and I went to town today. We went to Petsmart and ALL THE BETTAS WERE GONE. Totally empty. I rightly guessed they were having water change done. I peered in the back and saw a guy with a cart full of bettas. He saw my pitiful longing expression and came to the door. I asked, "do you still have the white crowntail?" Yes! He found him! Gave him a water change and then I got him! Along with a heater, gravel, a floating log and suction cup leaf.

He is so little! Just a wee lil' scrumpit.

I wonder if he will marble? His tail has a bit of pastel color look to it.

Right now he is in a big sterilite container. I am thinking I want to put him in a 5 gallon because that would fit good on the shelf. Buuuuut maybe a 10 gallon would fit...hmm... I really reaaaaally like the Marineland biowheel kit I got for Twinkie. I would like to get another of those... Maybe I could put Stormy in it and give her 5 gallon to the new betta? Hmmmmm... Well, he is happy right now! He is brave, checking everything out, not hiding from me.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I cleaned the shelves in my "fish room" because we no longer homeschool in there (too many fish!).
You homeschool, too?! :-D We haven't "officially" started yet, but we work on preschool every day. Personally I think it's awesome and fun. (at least right now, haha, I probably won't be able to teach them reading with a puppet too much longer :roll:)

Congrats on your new boy!!! I've never seen a white crowntail in person, I'm sure they're stunning :D If there was a picture in your post, I didn't see one.... so pictures please? :greenyay:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Photobucket isn't showing the pictures I tried to send by email. I got one to show by uploading it at the site, but no more? Not sure what is going on.

I LOVE white bettas. I love cellophane ones. I like how there is subtle pastel colors as they "shimmy shimmy" through the water!

He is so tiny. The suction cup on the thermometer looks big compared to him. He had just arrived at Petsmart this week, so he must be pretty young.

I am going to name him Zadok, meaning "righteousness" or "to be just".

Yes! We homeschool! My son just started 3rd grade and daughter is in kindergarten. We love it! Betta fish are the BEST thing to happen to homeschool. I can watch them swim while I wait for the kids to do their work. We use Heart of Dakota curriculum.

Zadok is so precious. He was watching me "tuck everyone in" (put up their "curtains" for the night to block out house lights).

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)

Another picture showed up. LOL.
Not a good one of Zadok, but shows his "for now" home. No filter but other'n that it has everything he needs. Well...needs more plants. I wonder where he will sleep tonight? I always want to know... Twinkie sleeps on his suction cup leaf and builds massive bubble nests over night. Antigua sleeps in his floatie log or sometimes on his suction cup leaves. Hatzie sleeps in his java fern that is floating. Simeon...never seen him asleep, nor spunky little Stormy. They never stop.

Oh look, another picture, thanks photobucket...

His floating log is soaking. I float them in a bowl for a few days to get that awful chemical smell gone..ugh. They are great little betta toys but there must be a better way to make them.

And, if he stays white he will be getting black gravel. If he marbles then I will keep the brown gravel.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Aw, he's so darn cute!!!! He would look awesome against black gravel!

What is that plant in his "tank" besides the hornwort? It's beautiful!

OoO, Oo, and if he doesn't marble, another thing you might want to try is a black marble here or there. I have one that a friend gave me, and it has a glassy finish that is very black and reflective. I have put in with male bettas and occasionally they would see themselves in it, and flare, but not enough to stress. Visitors always commented on how pretty that marble was, and I always thought it look cool with a white betta. ;)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yeah...he would look amazing against black! I so prefer the natural look though. Maybe I will have to swap tanks around. What to do...what to do. Stormy and Hatzallah both have black gravel...eh, but Stormy's has rainbow colors mixed in. And Hatzie dearly LOVES his tank. He is just so happy.

Oh! So the fine leafed plant is hornwort and the other straight long stem is anacharis. I am trying out more floating plants. I wanted to find something to fill out the top of Simeon's tank for the guppies to hide in. Turns out they don't need to hide. But it still looks nice.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I couldn't take Simeon's glass surfing anymore! He is now in a one gallon floating in his 20 gallon. He is SO HAPPY now. He was to the point of pacing constantly and losing color and so stressed. Now in the smaller area he has calmed down and regained his color. He built a bubble nest for the first time in 2 months? He looks so relieved. Now I am thinking...maybe a 5 gallon? I want to try my first naturally planted tank with organic potting soil and sand and maybe some crypts which I have been scared to try (melt!). If it is densely planted maybe he won't glass surf. He seems quite content in the 1 gallon but...well I want something I can cycle and not have daily water changes. He has been "surfing" long before the guppies...actually I was hoping the guppies would distract him, but no. It was like he didn't care. I may try Stormy in with them and put Simeon in her 5 gallon. It may turn out the guppy-gummies just need to be alone though. Still thinking and plotting and planning. For now he is super content.

Little Zadok is doing so well! He never was afraid of me. Never hid. He is a mighty hunter of mosquito larva.

Antigua's pectorals are getting color! Some turquoise and the tips are red. Very cute. Today I watched him MOVE his bubblenest. He took the bubbles from one leaf and put them under another leaf. So carefully! So gently. It was amusing he recycled his bubbles rather than just get new air. He is SO cute.

21 - 40 of 1633 Posts