Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a betta from Petco, and his fins looked a bit ragged but nothing extreme. A week has gone by, and his fins have changed, but I can’t tell if it’s better or worse. In my eyes, it looks worse, but I don’t have much experience with fin rot or damage. I attached a photo of when I first got him, and one from today. You can see the darker parts along the edges of his fins. Is this rot? Or coloring?

He’s very likely a marble if that explains the coloring at all, but I don’t think it should be this dramatic.

Hopefully this is nothing extreme!

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 7g, 8g with a sump
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 79F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:

What food brand do you use? Fluval Betta Bug Bites
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? About 5-10 pellets twice a day

Maintenance:

Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? Sink/tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Lightly vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:

What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0-5ppm
pH: 6.8-7.0
Hardness (GH): 3-6 (50-100ppm)
Alkalinity (KH): 0-3 (0-50ppm)

Symptoms and Treatment:

When did you first notice the symptoms? When I picked him up from the store
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? The edges of his fins seem to be darkening
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Not at all. Still very active, curious, and hungry
Is your Betta still eating? Yes, like a pig
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Only with catappa/indian almond leaves right now
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not that I know of, but he was from Petco
How long have you owned your Betta? A little over a week
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Yes, his fins looked a bit damaged when I got him

Before
Water Botany Fish supply Fin Plant

After (1 week)
Water Plant Fin Fish supply Petal

·
Registered
137 Posts
I purchased a betta from Petco, and his fins looked a bit ragged but nothing extreme. A week has gone by, and his fins have changed, but I can’t tell if it’s better or worse. In my eyes, it looks worse, but I don’t have much experience with fin rot or damage. I attached a photo of when I first got him, and one from today. You can see the darker parts along the edges of his fins. Is this rot? Or coloring?

He’s very likely a marble if that explains the coloring at all, but I don’t think it should be this dramatic.

Hopefully this is nothing extreme!

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 7g, 8g with a sump
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 79F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:

What food brand do you use? Fluval Betta Bug Bites
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? About 5-10 pellets twice a day

Maintenance:

Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? Sink/tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Lightly vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:

What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0-5ppm
pH: 6.8-7.0
Hardness (GH): 3-6 (50-100ppm)
Alkalinity (KH): 0-3 (0-50ppm)

Symptoms and Treatment:

When did you first notice the symptoms? When I picked him up from the store
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? The edges of his fins seem to be darkening
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Not at all. Still very active, curious, and hungry
Is your Betta still eating? Yes, like a pig
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Only with catappa/indian almond leaves right now
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not that I know of, but he was from Petco
How long have you owned your Betta? A little over a week
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Yes, his fins looked a bit damaged when I got him

Before
View attachment 1033554

After (1 week)
View attachment 1033555
I believe the fin rot is worsening a bit, but it's definitely not serious. I would start dosing with some aquarium salt and see if that helps - it worked for my boy a couple months back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the fin rot is worsening a bit, but it's definitely not serious. I would start dosing with some aquarium salt and see if that helps - it worked for my boy a couple months back.
That’s so good to hear that it’s not serious! It definitely has me worried still, though. Thank you for the advice!

·
Super Moderator
1,402 Posts
He does not appear to have fin rot. It looks like he has been nipping his own tail or some other fish somewhere along the line has been nipping at him. The darkness around the ends is his natural colouring. If you can I would add some Indian almond leaf to his tank. It has antibacterial and anti fungal properties and it also helps calm them. Keep his water very clean.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He does not appear to have fin rot. It looks like he has been nipping his own tail or some other fish somewhere along the line has been nipping at him. The darkness around the ends is his natural colouring. If you can I would add some Indian almond leaf to his tank. It has antibacterial and anti fungal properties and it also helps calm them. Keep his water very clean.
This is so good to hear, thank you!! He likely nipped his own tail while he was in the Petco cup, but I’ll keep an eye out to see if he’s still doing it.

He’s been given indian almond leaves since day one, so I’ll keep it up and change his water x2 week until I see more improvement!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts