Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Betta, Clyde, looked fine last night. Have yet to test the water conditions but that is going to be the first thing I'm going to do. His tank is about at 78 degrees and we have a heater to keep it from fluctuating. We have a filter and have been doing water changes about twice a month. I didn't think this could be a bacterial infection but that's what one of my friends think it is? We also added 3 black neon tetras in there this morning, is it possible that they could be picking on him? :( this is the best photo I could get of his wound.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Please fill out this form

Many illnesses can be traced to water conditions. Your water-changing schedule is the most important element in diagnosing. Please be honest.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on "Go Advanced" and then on the paper clip in the toolbar.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Did you quarantine the tetras? If not, it's certainly possible that they could have introduced disease into the tank. Although personally, I think that's a fairly low chance given how suddenly this came on.

It's difficult to make out too many details of the injury in the photo, but that looks more like a scrape to me? Is there the possibility that he might have become wedged under or stuck inside, something in the tank and managed to injure himself that way?

I think tetras would be more likely to go for his fins rather than his body. Although I've not kept this species of tetra before, so don't know how aggressive they are. If you only have three tetras, this can cause stress and make them more prone to nippiness. It would best to increase their numbers to at least six individuals.

You certainly should check your parameters. This is always the first thing I do when something is amiss with my fish, as ammonia poisoning can cause irritation and the fish may rub against objects in the tank. Adding new fish can sometimes cause a 'mini-cycle' as the beneficial bacteria needs to adjust to the added bioload.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts