Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is that a good type of food, cause thats what i use ...and how many should i feed my betta i know one day per week we fasten them...and should i soak them or not cause a lot of people say yes so its more moist and also does not expand in the bettas boday and other say no cause they lose some nutritional value.
thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
is it the same as this?

My mature betta eats them but my younger betta spits them out and prefers the smaller sized ones bout one third the size of bio gold

I give him about 3 pellets once or twice a day

·
Registered
270 Posts
I use the 'perfectly sized pellets' and feed 5 twice a day.

At first Pablo needed a couple of attempts to swallow them, now he can take 3 in one gulp. But then he's a little piggy.

From a maintenance point of view, the best thing about the pellets is that they float. They even float if your betta spits them out a couple of times so you can avoid having wasted food in the tank.

As far as nutrition goes, I assume they are fine. People say to go by the listed ingredients, but manufacturers can be quite sly about that - listing whole fish because it weighs a lot more than the meal they have to turn it into, splitting the bulking agents into about 5 seperate items etc.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The Hikari website says 5-10 pellets twice a day for a 1.5" betta.

http://www.hikariusa.com/articles/betta-care/

It's really hard to get a definitive answer to 'how many should I feed?'. My fish eats the 5 pellets in 30 seconds or less, he's very active and he doesn't appear to be fat or have a bloated stomach.

Most of the time he looks at me like he's accusing me of underfeeding him.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
The reason omega one and new life spectrum are suggested on the forum is because the ingredients are better, and it is simply higher quality, more healthy food. Here is the ingredients in Hikari Betta Bio Gold-

Fish meal, wheat flour, milt meal, Antarctic krill meal, gluten meal, clam meal, cuttlefish oil, soybean meal, enzyme, garlic, monosodium glutamate, dl-methionine, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K), thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, calcium pantothenate, biotin, inositol, niacin, choline chloride, folic acid, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), manganese sulfate, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, magnesium sulfate, cobalt sulfate, calcium iodate, aluminum hydroxide.

Notice the first two ingredients- fish meal and wheat flour. Neither are high quality or nutritious, and those ingredients are present in the greatest amounts. Then we have milt meal, which you can google if you want, krill meal, which is fine but it would be better if it was whole krill meal, then gluten meal, which is an unnatural filler or binder. The rest isn't bad, aside from the soybean meal and msg (why?!). Overall, it is made from a lot of cheap ingredients, and cheap food is, well, cheap.

Here's the ingredients in New Life Spectrum betta formula (the ingredients may have been updated since I got my tin, but the quality would be the same) and Omega One betta buffet pellets, in that order-

Whole Antarctic krill meal, whole herring meal, whole wheat flour, algae meal, garlic, soybean isolate, beta carotene, spirulina, vegetable and fruit extract (spinach, red and green cabbage, pea, broccoli, zucchini, tomato, red bell pepper, kiwi, apricot, pear, mango, apple, papaya, peach), vitamin a acetate, DL alphatocophero (E), d-activated animal sterol (D3), vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydro-chloride, calcium pantothenate, L-ascorby-2-polyphosphate (stable C), choline chloride, copper proteinate, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, cobalt sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate.

Whole Salmon, Halibut, Shrimp, Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Fresh Kelp, Astaxanthin, Lecithin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).

Notice that whole fish is listed as the first ingredient in both, and the first two or three ingredients are fish. The binder or filler comes after. There are also good extra things in both, especially the new life spectrum (garlic, spirulina, beta carotene).

Soaking the pellets causes nutrients to be lost and doing so is not necessary.

I don't count how many pellets I feed my fish because I simply don't have time, but generally you want to give a small amount (~5) at each feeding. It depends on the fish and he food you're feeding, though. Please do not listen to what the company or package says about how much you should be feeding, they give instructions so you will go through as much food as possible and have to buy more.

Hope I helped :).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Looking at the packet, I have a different ingredient list for Bio-Gold.

Far too long to type out, but doesn't have the milt meal or the MSG. Does have spirulina, astaxanthin (whatever that is), garlic, and grape seed extract.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
I must have got the old list. I think this is the new one, correct me if I'm wrong-

Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Soybean Meal, Rice Bran, Gluten Meal, Starch, Krill Meal, Wheat Germ Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dha Oil, Spirulina Dried Seaweed Meal, Dl-Methionine, Garlic, Astaxanthin, Grape Seed Extract, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Stabilized Vitamin C), Inositol, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Oil, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Niacin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source Of Vitamin K), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Ferrous Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Disodium Phosphate, Red 3 (Artificial Color).

If anything it's worse then before. Fish meal, which is a questionable ingredient at best because it is basically just everything no one else wants all ground up, is followed by five fillers... The few good ingredients that are there in small amounts don't save it from being bad food.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ethoxyquin (Preservative) in the omega buffet pellets is bad for fish. and it is normally used as a pesticide.

I currently use the Betta BioGold, but as soon as it is finished I have and will be using New Lift Spectrum pellets.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Yup, it is, but the absolutely tiny amount of ethoxyquin in the food is not nearly as bad for the fish as cheap food that's full of filler. I honestly doubt that if you performed a study that you would find any adverse effect brought on by the amount that is present in fish food.

That, and although a lot of foods don't have it as a listed ingredient, all ships entering US waters that contain fish meal are required to have that fish meal preserved with ethoxyquin.

http://nlsfishfood.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=63&limit=1&limitstart=5

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't count how many pellets I feed my fish because I simply don't have time, but generally you want to give a small amount (~5) at each feeding. It depends on the fish and he food you're feeding, though. Please do not listen to what the company or package says about how much you should be feeding, they give instructions so you will go through as much food as possible and have to buy more.

Hope I helped :).
I keep asking but never get an answer - What size pellets are we talking about???

NLS has all their formulas in different size pellets for each formula. If you run the calculations for the volume of the various sizes there is a big difference in the volume from sixe to size. The volume varies as the cube of the diameter. So the cube of the .5mm pellets diameter is .125 mm and the 1 mm is 1 mm. If you fed 5 1 mm pellets or 5 .5mm pellets the amount of food you are giving your guy or gal is quite different. In one you could be starving your pet and the other gorging it.

I bought Omega One Betta pellets first thinking that it was Betta Pellets Pro. It had a small spoon in the package. I use it for the NLS food as well and feed about a 1/4 of a spoonful once a day. It is quite a lot more than 3 or 5 .5mm pellets. He finishes them quickly and the nitrates stay around 5ppm even after 2 weeks between WC.

Any comments?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts