Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 zebra danios and 1 male betta in my tank, and I just noticed that one of my zebra danios has had his fin bitten A LOT. My betta has fin rot, which he has had since the fish store, is it possible he could have passed it on one of my danios? Is it fin rot? I have a 7.5 litre tank, which I am told is too small for a zebra, could the biting be because of stress? Do I need to move them out of the tank? I don't want any of my fish to be biters, please help!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I don't know if danios will bite their own fins, but I can say that your tank is much too small for anything more than one betta, and especially too small for zebra danios. That's only 2 US gallons. Zebra danios are sooo active they need a lot of room to zip around and play. I have 6 in my 55 gallon and I actually can't imagine them being in a smaller tank because they're so fast and love to play with each other. They also need to be in groups of at least 6 because they're schooling fish. Your betta may be stressed out by them because they're all in such a small space and the danios are really active. Maybe your betta took a bite out of its fin? But it's a bad situation for all fish involved. Your betta is probably stressed being in such a small area with such active fish, the danios are probably stressed because they can't move around properly and don't have enough of their own kind with them. You definitely should remove the danios and put them in a much larger tank with at least 4 others, and leave your betta in his own tank. Your tank is an okay size for one betta.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Betta's are fighting fish by nature, and probably the reason why your zebra danios fins are missing. The tank you have is to small to house the Betta plus the Zebra danios as OrangeAugust suggests. so I would immediately get a bigger tank for your zebras. Petsmart sells a 10gallon kit for 50 dollars, and add additional zebras as OrangeAugust has suggested. Or you can get a 20gallon for 20 dollars, but you'll have to spend money on the extra stuff you need for the tank.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
A long time ago, I tried to put a small school of tetras, a small cory, an algae eater, and a male betta in a 15 gallon tank - the pet store guy told me it would be fine, the Betta wouldn't attack the others. Boy, was he wrong. My Betta had the tetras so terrified and every time they tried to leave the corner he had corralled them into, he would attack them. He also wouldn't let them eat, even if I put food into their corner. He would attack them if I put food over there and they tried to eat. As a result, the bigger female tetras began to eat the smaller male tetras alive. Not a very pretty thing to watch.
It can work for you though, other people have been successful. If you get a much bigger tank and lots, and lots, and lots of hiding places, you might be able to pull it off. (The tank size you have is not barely big enough for 1 Betta, not to mention all the others you have in there - you're asking for a disaster. A good rule of thumb is 1 gallon or 3.7 liters per inch of fish. Bettas can get up to 3 inches long and Danios can get about 2.5 inches long - so with all 3 of those, you'll need a minimum of 8 gallons or 30 liters.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all of you for your help! I am going to move the zebra danios out on the weekend, and I am going to give them to my friend who also has 2. Her tank is much bigger than mine, so I think they should be happy there. I wish I could buy from Petsmart because their tanks are such a good price compared to other places but they don't sell to the UK which is annoying. Are there any other small fish that are less active that would work well with my Betta in my current tank?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I'm glad to hear you will be giving the danios a new home.
No, your tank is only good for a single betta and maybe some ghost shrimp or a nerite snail. No other fish.

·
Registered
273 Posts
A long time ago, I tried to put a small school of tetras, a small cory, an algae eater, and a male betta in a 15 gallon tank - the pet store guy told me it would be fine, the Betta wouldn't attack the others. Boy, was he wrong. My Betta had the tetras so terrified and every time they tried to leave the corner he had corralled them into, he would attack them. He also wouldn't let them eat, even if I put food into their corner. He would attack them if I put food over there and they tried to eat. As a result, the bigger female tetras began to eat the smaller male tetras alive. Not a very pretty thing to watch.
It can work for you though, other people have been successful. If you get a much bigger tank and lots, and lots, and lots of hiding places, you might be able to pull it off. (The tank size you have is not barely big enough for 1 Betta, not to mention all the others you have in there - you're asking for a disaster. A good rule of thumb is 1 gallon or 3.7 liters per inch of fish. Bettas can get up to 3 inches long and Danios can get about 2.5 inches long - so with all 3 of those, you'll need a minimum of 8 gallons or 30 liters.)
Actually often that combination of fish works fine... your male betta had that extra aggressive personality. There is a guy at work in another dept who has a 5 gallon tank on his desk with what looks like small tetras, corydoras, otocinclus. No fighting in there at all from what I've seen.

I have a 16 gallon with a sorority of female bettas (7) with corydoras, otocinclus, ghost shrimp, upside down catfish. It works just fine. In fact the bettas ignore all the other fish (catfish have nothing to fear from bettas usually with their armor and some have mild poison).

The tank the poster has in this thread is way too small for those fish though, those guys need room to swim and get away from the male betta (of which they have little room to do so). It's also likely since the other fish are kept so closely confined to the betta that his aggressive tendencies towards them are irresistible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts