Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LFS has black sand, but it's $15 for a bag and I just didn't want to drop that much on a 5.5 gallon's worth of sand. So I bought what they called "black beauty" obsidian sand. It was a lot cheaper. It's kind of shiny, and I rolled some between my fingers and it's not sharp like one would expect obsidian to be.

I wanted to buy terrarium sand (like they sell for reptiles) but they didn't recommend it for aquariums. Something about calcium. What do you think?

I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of this "black beauty" stuff? Google isn't giving me any answers.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I *think* black beauty is the same thing as black diamond sand, in which case it's totally fine. I would confirm that with someone who knows more than I do, but I'm fairly sure it is the same. I just put the black diamond in one of my tanks. A lot of people use it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a 10 lb bag for $3... hahahah. Oh well. It's a very small tank anyways.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Well, if I didn't have Stone to carry the bag - I'd pay the 3.00 for a 10 pound bag just to not have to lug the 50 pound bag up the steps honestly. It would take me about an hour to drag it from the car myself. lol

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to pop in and say - it's lovely in the tank! I like the texture, and it's kind of shiny which is really neat in the water. AND IT'S BLACK! I love black substrate~

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's some slightly cloudy pics! I rinsed the sand well, but it's still got a bit of junk in it, I guess. Hopefully the filter will take it all out.

I'm very happy with this tank. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts