The eyes really aren't that big, they may look like it but they're actually pretty small, their stomach and other organs are much bigger.
Fry were still alive and well this morning when I left for Camp, no other dead ones yet. I think I still have at least 70-80, can't actually count though since they sort of sit everywhere and I can't see the whole tank comfortably anyway at where it sits.
Still alternating Microworms and Banana Worms and will do that for a while.
Yeah....I'll get that eventually. Is it possible to get by with BBS or is it something I really should look into getting? I just get so confused with all the directions but if I write it down and write it out, I should be able to figure it out I think.
It's definitely possible, I don't use it much but I'm sure the vast majority of (decent) breeders will tell you that it's definitely a good thing when fed in moderation (too much causes sbd). It's pretty easy, just get a container of some sort, stick an airline in there, and then add salt water and a bit of the brine shrimp cysts/eggs. Keep it warm.
If you can get them to a size where they'll take decaps bbs (order the dry powder online somewhere) on worms alone, that's awesome and you can start to vary the diet after that. That's pretty much what I do.
With a worm heavy diet, just make sure you're cleaning the bottom a lot, or you risk ending up with missing ventrals. I've never had a problem with that and I use mainly the worms, but I have tons of snails and siphon off the bottom.
Okay thanks. Yeah I have the Decaps that came with the worms and also have APR so I think I'll just try it with just the worms and siphon daily once band camp is done. UGGG, one more day, one more day, one more day, one more day.
I don't really know what's going on with the fry, maybe I haven't done enough water changes or something? But, well I haven't officially counted or anything but I know my numbers have severely decreased from the original 80-90 fry. Some death is always natural but too much and it raises red flags :-/
Most of the reason I wanted to get this spawn done earlier in the summer was because of this last week, Band Camp with a spawn on top of it is not fun. Most of the nights I had to stay up late to do a small change on the tank, It was only about a gallon a night or so but I guess it just wasn't enough. I still have plenty of fry but it's really difficult to tell between the dead fry and the ones still alive unless I see them breathing >.<
But I just did a 40% water change, I would have done more if my arm wasn't killing from holding up my ridiculously heavy Tenor all week lol. But the water is dripping in currently as I type. I did get some pictures for your viewing pleasure:
Sorry this one is blurry but they've got tails! They got them last week though lol
This is one of my biggest fry and he just sort of bumbles around the tank. However that red on him is worrying me, he just chills on top so I'm worried about him, there is another that is close in size to him too.
That same fry later in the day, a smaller one behind him
Yeah, I know about that, it would be on top of their head though. This is where his gills are, more like ammonia burns which I'm not putting past. I haven't actually checked the parameters of the tank though.
I'm so sorry guys--mostly I'm very sorry to Lucillia for letting you down. None of the fry survived. I don't think I did enough larger water changes to begin with and the ammonia just built up and burnt them. At least that's what I feel happened. When tested it only came up to .25-.50 ppm ammonia but I know that is deadly to fry. I was even using Prime to help combat it through the day but it didn't work in the end.
I want to try my HMPK pair and though it saddened me to see all the dead fry, at least I know now and hopefully can correct the mistake in the future.