Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Today the black babies are 13 days old.
This being the first time I’ve ever done anything like this I wasn’t sure what to expect. It seems to me that my female ate most of the eggs from the spawn because the male didn’t pick them up fast enough 🙃 It was a large nest but I noticed the male also ate eggs as time went on, I assume they were un-fertilized. The day they hatched I only saw six little tails, but when they started to fee swim I only ever counted 3 at a time. Yesterday I moved them to another tank and surprise surprise... 8 babies. I’ve been calling them my baby black sheep batch.
here are some OK pictures I managed to get yesterday before I switched them to their new tank.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because I thought I only had three babies I decided to try spawning a different pair. Those babies are 9 days old. Should I do a second spawn log? Or just consolidate all the info here in this thread?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Lovely parents, I can't wait to see how the fry grow! :)

My opinion on the spawn log is if it's a pair with different characteristics, you might want a new log to make sure you don't mix up info for your own sake. Or if one of the parents is the same, or they're similar color/tail types as the first spawn, consolidating it into one thread may work well. But there's no rule, I don't think, so it's your choice.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you think you'll spawn this pair again?
Thank you! I really like my black bettas, I just think they look so different than what I’m used to when I think of betta colors. I have no idea if I’ll spawn any bettas again but if I do I definitely think these two paired well and seemed to like each other. I’m pretty sure that it’s my own fault that they didn’t spawn more, I was so excited that they were wrapping that I watched for awhile and definitely distracted them. Then I peeked in periodically and noticed my male had two separate bubble nests and was moving the eggs away from my “viewing window” I believe if I would have left them alone more from the start it would have turned out better buuuut they were learning right along with me so I’m happy I got the 8 babies. The second pair I left alone a lot more and have a bigger spawn. Learned my lesson lol

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Rana good points! I’m keeping a spawning journal for myself so although I won’t get confused it probably will look really confusing here LOL. I’ll start another one maybe.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Great you have more in your second spawn (y)
I really like the black colors as well, I have thought for a while now that if I ever buy bettas again, it'll be a black pair.
You could always see how the black fry turn out and possibly breed a male and female from the black spawn based on what traits you see that you like or dislike.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
June 8th
Hellooooo betta fish fam!
Babies are 25 days old today. Still have 8 babies thank goodness. They have changed so much since the last post, they have all their fins now including itty bitty ventral fins 💜 there are 4 dark, 2 blonde, and 2 silver. I saw two doing a face off yesterday lol territory disputes happen now. They have all picked a “spot” they like and defend it. Pretty amazing to watch this unfold in front of me. From the dance to the eggs to the bouncing babies... now they look like fish and are starting to show those famous betta characteristics.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I’ve started supplementing their diet With gel food and vita chem soaked pellets. Yesterday I put three soaked pellets in there and they all looked stuffed silly 20 minutes later. So definitely one soaked pellet next time and work my way up as needed. This morning was their first bite of gel food and they are eating it without issue. Had to use a turkey baster to suck out the extra food when they were full. It’s a learning process for me, I’m obviously a poor judge of portions but I think I got the amount down now. Positive point is my adult bettas LOVE the vita chem and the gel so this is all Win/win in my fish room today.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I've heard good things about those foods! (y) It's crazy how fast they get full when they are so small 🧡

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh yeah Rana, for sure they will keep changing lol that’s just how I’m telling them apart right now. There is only 8 of them 😉

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
There's just 3 fry right? I wish there were more, if you spawn this pair again I might ask to adopt one of their offspring based on how their colors turn out. I love love LOVE black bettas.

Reactions: Zellie
1 - 20 of 62 Posts