Betta Fish Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #41
I鈥檓 running late on feeding everyone today but I鈥檒l take pics of all these guys from this spawn and upload later today. They are almost 11 weeks old now 馃挏

Registered
They are looking gorgeous! :love:
The set up looks good too! Nice job (y)

Edit: I have a couple questions -
So because the father is HM, most of the fry will NOT be plakat, correct?
Do you know the fathers coloring identification besides black?
Thanks! I'm still learning :)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #44
The father is/was a Halfmoon black butterfly his 鈥渂utterfly鈥 tail isn鈥檛 really symmetrical colored anymore the band fades in and out so not sure if he would be considered butterfly anymore I thought he was black lace at first but I鈥檓 not sure he really falls into that category either 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檧锔 The band was a transparent black but is turning white in places and he has always had the white tipped ventral fins as well. This is my first spawn and I鈥檓 honestly not 100% sure about what genetics are dominant in my situation. The mom is a Halfmoon plakat. I think someone mentioned that could lead to fins in between the Halfmoon length and the plakat length. Quite a few fry have longer anal fins already but then a few don鈥檛. Maybe they鈥檙e females? They all have very pointy and long ventrals lol so that might not be the best way for me to identify my spawn. I鈥檓 learning right along with you cosmic! Seeing you handle your fish spawns really inspired me to give this a shot 馃挏

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #48
8/19/20
Update fry are 14 weeks old

D1 (male)

D2 (female)

D3 (male)

D4 (female)

D5 (male)

D6 (male)

D7 (female)

D8 (male)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #50
I think so to! He was always the biggest out of the group but very mild mannered and personable. Always comes to say hi to me and isn鈥檛 picky about food.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #51
Update on the spawn. Everyone is eating twice a day still, I鈥檓 no longer feeding them bbs instead they eat a mix of frozen foods through the week blood worms and brine shrimp and the repashy grub pie gel food with a few dashes of vita-chem mixed in there. They also enjoy the fluval betta bug bites on the days I鈥檓 in a hurry in the mornings. It鈥檚 nice that they will except a wide variety of foods. Now that they have been separated for a bit their individual personalities really show. A few really like to sleep at the bottom under a leaf and the others at the top either in an open corner or on a leaf high up near the surface. The Three females are all together in a large group of females from my koi spawn. The males are top shelf of my grow out rack. Every morning I pull the cards from between the tanks while I prep food and just watch them for a bit to see how they are doing. Get a good look at fins and clear out little tummies if that hasn鈥檛 happened already lol. I use the large end of a pipette and airline hose as a mini vacuum and suck out the bottoms of the tanks every few days then go around and refill and dump the rest of the clean water into the sump if it needs it. I check the water parameters every Sunday to keep the nitrates down below 10ppm I replace water a lot throughout the week just from sucking out uneaten food and the little vacuum jobs that I haven鈥檛 had to drain water out of the sump for big water changes, just the Mini vacs seem to do the job nicely. Ok! now for pictures! Again I apologize for the slight blur.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #55
#6 turned out to be the only over Halfmoon so far his tail has a wide spread. Unfortunately he has four points on his ventrals which make him look like he has hands or gloves on LOL it makes him look extra fluffy like a little black storm cloud. I thought he was a female for the longest time 馃槀

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #56
If I had to pick a favorite... hmmm I鈥檇 pick #3 he is just so pretty, and his pattern has stayed since he colored up.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #59
They are doing good! I鈥檓 getting ready to list them for sale probably next week. I got some new lenses to clip on my phone camera but I鈥檓 not sure it really helped much. Here is a picture in natural sunlight

this picture with my finex stingray light. It鈥檚 a planted tank light so has red white and blue LED but makes everything tinted blue
this fella still has a shorter tail fin than all the other males.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts