Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, um this is my first time posting on here and actually first time posting in a forum at all. I'm a little nervous and I did do some searching and couldn't really find an answer, so that's why I'm making a post. If there's an answer to my question on another post feel free to just link that one. Anyway here it goes.

A year ago on my birthday I got two crowntail betta fish, male and female, in an Aqueon aquarium betta bow 2.5 gallon tank with a divider. Eventually the male passed away due to the carelessness of my mother while I was away on a month long trip. The female lasted a long time and seemed reasonably healthy up until she just passed away spontaneously one afternoon. A few days before she was going to be a year old. I'm not sure what killed her, especially since she seemed perfectly fine in the morning.

But anyway, that's just a little history since I figure it could contribute to what I'm about to describe. Around a week later, I got another betta because my mom didn't want the tank just to go to waste (despite having a nerite snail).

I got a white half moon betta. He's a spunky little guy with a lot of names since I couldn't come up with one. Quite frankly he's one of the most beautiful bettas I've ever owned.

http://i.imgur.com/MEZVzU5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QjMeQpX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tdGiBNJ.jpg
Here are some pictures.

He seemed very healthy near the beginning. He was really fast and would often dart around the tank a bit. Always eager to eat, and he did make a bubble nest. So I assumed he was healthy. Regardless, I still kept a close eye on him for potential diseases and other stuff.

As time went on though, for some reason he gained black spots around his body? Mostly his body though and not his fins. I've tried doing some research and couldn't find anything remotely close to the subject. He still acts the same, he's just not as white as he used to be. The tips of his fins have become slightly transparent so he looks almost smaller. He had a single black line on his body now it seemed to have spread all over his body but avoid his fins.

Note: the black on the top fin is part of the background.

I don't know what to do, I'm worried and scared. I don't want to lose him. Dealing with my pets' deaths is very difficult to me even if they're just fish.

When the nerite snail passed, I immediately cleaned the tank. Had him in a hospital tank for a while. He already was showing signs of black spots before then so that's why I kept him in a smaller tank and used Bettafix for a while. My old female before she passed also did have black spots on her head but it didn't affect her. The black spots on the betta now don't seem to change his behaviour either.

I have a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter that came with the tank, a light that I turn on at around 12 pm and turn off around 7 pm. It has a tetra submersible aquarium heater and the thermometer always says the water is around 80 F. There are two marimo moss balls in the tank, there used to be four betta buds but I currently have them on another container since they release a lot of muck and dead plant leaves and I just don't have time to be constantly cleaning the tank with my college schedule.
I apply ~10 mL of betta bowl plus aqueon conditioner and 1 teaspoon of api aquarium salt each time I clean the water 100%
He eats everyday except Saturdays, feed him four aqueon betta food pellets once a day, occasionally I feed him around two tetra freeze dried bloodworms and every other Sunday I give him a frozen pea to avoid swim bladder.
He hasn't made a bubble nest since I cleaned the tank which was about a week ago.

Please help, he means a lot to me and I worry very easily. Sorry for writing so much, I just wanted to specify as much detail as I could in case it contributes to anything.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I could be wrong, but he seems fine to me. It just looks like you ended up with a marbled betta, meaning he will change color on you. Also, with a tank that size, you should be doing more wc per week. Also, there are quite a few people on here who are completely against feeding peas as a betta is an insectivor and cannot digest plant matter. It can severely damage their digestive tract. Other than that, I really can't give too much more advice. I'm sure someone else will chime in with further information.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
First, Welcome to the Forum!

As far as coloring, he is a marble Betta and will continue changing his color pattern. I had a blue and white marble go completely blue except for his face.

With a 2.5, two one-gallon water changes per week will work better than 100% in a filtered tank; plus, they are less stressful. I would not be feeding him peas. When your current conditioner runs out get Seachem Prime. It is much cheaper in the long run because you only dose two drops per gallon.

Many people mistakenly believe bubble nests mean a Betta is "happy." That is not true. Some make only one; some make numerous. Overall active is more of a barometer as to Betta health than bubble nests so don't worry if he doesn't make any more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh thank you so much, that is very relieving to hear.
I will stop feeding him peas regularly, I only did it because my past betta had swim bladder and after doing some research and even in this forum itself, they suggested frozen peas, and it worked so I just kept doing it occasionally.
But I suppose that's like taking medicine for a cold you don't have.

Thank you for the recommendations, I never knew about marble bettas, that's so cool. I will make sure my Beau lives a happy long life <3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.