Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a blind betta today and was wondering if anyone had some tips for me on taking care of him?

Ive had a fish with one eye before but never one that was fully blind. After reading some posts on here, it looks like I should invest in one of those feeding rings?

Here's a pic, he has diamond eyes.
Blind1.jpg

·
Registered
393 Posts
wow, he's so pretty! but i'm honestly unsure of blind fish care. :[

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think he's really pretty too, I'm really happy to have found him c:

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
Fortunately, since fish have this sensor thing called the lateral line, blind fish aren't as helpless as blind mammals would be. A feeding ring would help so he knows where to go for food at mealtimes. Avoid moving the decor around too much. Otherwise, I think it's pretty much like normal betta care.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good to know, thank you everyone.

I took most of the decor out that i would usually have with a betta since some of them had edges he could run into. Right now he just has a cave with a silk flower on top that I made.

^^

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats what I'm hoping! ^^

·
Registered
368 Posts
He's pretty. :) You're doing the right thing. I also feed frozen foods with an eye dropper. That might help and be cheaper than a feeding ring. That way he won't have to struggle getting food so much, even in a ring. I have one who is blind in one eye and it helps him. And all my fish come running (swimming? haha) when the see the eye dropper. :p

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
My friend has a genetically partially blind betta (who luckily, can see shadows and some light), and he lives like a normal betta. However, he became disgruntled when his fabric plant moved :lol: but, they don't seem to mind not seeing anything :) goodluck with your betta!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all so much for the tips!
Youve all been incredibly helpful 8D

As for the feeding tap, I have to take the lid off my tank when I feed then and it makes a noise, so that should work as a tap ^^

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
hehe I used to snap my fingers :3 no matter what, once they get used to it, they know :lol:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good to know, he still seems in shock from being moved out of his tiny cup into a 2.5 gallon

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
:lol: he would be! He'll adjust in time, though.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I agree with Sakura8.... you also might be able to fit in more varieties of non-aggressive, secretive fish that non-blind bettas would normally go for. Am I right, or would they atill attack? Best of luck, anyway.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
:lol: you actually could. Of course keep in mind that the betta will still smell them and feel them moving, so something not on the top level of the water would work. Shrimp, snails...depending on the tank itself...ADF, cories, etc.

·
Registered
302 Posts
good to know, thank you everyone.

I took most of the decor out that i would usually have with a betta since some of them had edges he could run into. Right now he just has a cave with a silk flower on top that I made.

^^
You make silk flowers?! I see one of them in your avatar pic. They are gorgeous! It would be cool if you started making them for people and selling them! I know I would buy one! As for your blind betta, I'm sorry I can't help. My only advice is to not move around his decor too much as that might confuse him. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think adding in other fish would just stress him out, he'll probably live on his own for his life. Once he gets settled into his tank I /may/ add a shrimp or two but a 2.5 is really too small to add anything big anyways ;)

You make silk flowers?! I see one of them in your avatar pic. They are gorgeous! It would be cool if you started making them for people and selling them! I know I would buy one! As for your blind betta, I'm sorry I can't help. My only advice is to not move around his decor too much as that might confuse him. Good luck! :)
Lol! That cup with the flower on top is actually the one he has in with him. I dont technically make them, I just take fake silk flowers and use aquarium sealant to stick them onto cups and stuff. ^^

1 - 20 of 73 Posts