Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct sub, as the fish isn't sick, but he sure isn't right.
I have a male dragonscale type betta that I bought from Petco about two years back. A few months after I got him, I noticed his scales were growing over his eyes. A few months after that, it seems as though his eyes are completely covered with the scales. I think he can see shadows, as he can see a food pellet floating down, but not when it lands in the gravel.
He is in a 5 gallon tank with two amano shirmp, some rocks, a plant, it's kept at 76F. Honestly, I figured he'd die by now but he seems to be coping well.
Lately, I've noticed he's been getting a bit thin, he's having a harder time seeing the pellets float down. Does anyone have any experience with a blind fish? I mean, I'm not going to fix him obviously, but are there things I can do for him to make life easier? Is there a food that is more visible, or more palatable than what I'm feeding (been feeding all my fish Aqueon betta pellets for the last few years)? Maybe if they have a stronger smell or something, he can find them once they fall. Do I need to downsize his tank, or strip it down?
Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Hello, I have a blind dragon as well, like you I believe she can see shadows at least. I stopped feeding the aqueon because it’s not very good quality food. When I feed my dragon I use a pipette (plastic eye dropper) and basically spoon feed her frozen/thawed brine shrimp or bloodworms, I also feed the repashy gel food and on occasion the betta bug bites that float on the water. I made a ring out of airline tubing (or you can buy a floating ring) and make sure to feed her in the same spot every day (I even put the end of the pipette in the center of the floating ring) I moved her into a different tank A few weeks back and she finally settled into her new environment. Took her some time to adjust, lots of glass surfing. I had to get her used to a new feeding spot by tapping lightly on the rim of the tank where I wanted her to come to lol. It’s pretty strange having a blind fish but doable. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much! I don't think he can see anything floating, unfortunately. Seems like he only sees things when they are moving and up close. Poor little dude.
What exactly qualifies a good quality fish pellet?

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
bettas are carnivores and should be fed a staple that is high in protein. check the ingredient label and verify that some of the first listed ingredients are indeed meat products rather than plant products. some recommended foods are NorthFin Betta Bits, New Life Spectrum and Omega One.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
@dagluk i was just informed that Aqueon changed their recipe and it looks like better quality than I thought! I’ll personally stick with bugs myself as I’m not fond of the idea of wheat flour or soybean meal but all in all a good pellet indeed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts