Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was "gifted" a dumbo betta from PetSmart this week. I had brought him to the fish department, showed them that he was blind in both eyes and had serious weight and fin deterioration. They very happily turned him over to me hoping I would do better than his nasty pet shop cup.

OBSERVATIONS:
He does have body slime, or a fungal infection. His eyes are clouded and his dorsal, caudal, anal, and ventral fins are severely clamped and rigid (they don't flow or bend at all when he moves). He is usually eating, but we are working on that (ate yesterday, but not today). As a result of being blind, sick, and not eating he is severely underweight and swimming is exhausting for him.

I'm looking for any and all advice on treating his slime/body fungus as well as to what the cause is for his ridiculously rigid fins!

Housing
1 gallon bowl with cover (lid)
Heated to 80F
No Filter
No airstone/airation
No tankmates (he's in my hospital tank)
1 silk plant that he likes to rest on.

Food
Currently he's only accepting Hikari micro pellets, but I have tried Omega One Betta Pellets. (no flakes)
2 times daily, and then I clean up whatever he doesn't eat 20 minutes after.

Maintenance
Due to his blindness I'm doing 50% daily. Did 100% yesterday (bad idea).
50% daily for 3 days then I will do another 100% change
Water is conditioned with TopFin water conditioner and now API Fungus Cure

I have not tested/do not test my water. (I can though if you think it is necessary for this particular case.)

Symptoms and Treatment
1. How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Since I got him, 2 or 3 days ago.

2. How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
He seems more active now, but little to no change.

3. When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Immediately? Thats why I have him.

4. Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Yes, he's currently being treated with API Fungus Cure

5. Does your fish have any history of being ill?
As far as I can tell, probably. There was (what was likely a sibling) betta on the shelf with him showing similar symptoms without blindness. I suggested they treat him too. He has since been removed from the shelves.

6. How old is your fish (approximately)?
Hecks if I know?! Petshop fish mannnn

· Registered
Tao: Butterfly Halfmoon, Ivan: Kitty!, Firefly: TB Horse<3
3,607 Posts
Oh my God that's some serious clamping. With clean water and food the clamping and stiffness would go away in my belief. For a Fungal Infection, put the water temperature at 76 Degrees F. Treat with one teaspoon a gallon of AQ salt, traditionally you should do an 100% each day-but if it's really bad and/or too stressful you could try sticking with a 50 or try a 75 percent change.

Can't do much for blind bettas, the only problem you're going to run into with them is feeding but it seems like you have that down.

Also! You should add some Stress Coat, it helps fins, reduces stress, and removes ammonia and heavy metals. Though heavy metals and ammonia has nothing to do with this problem. xD

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh my God that's some serious clamping. With clean water and food the clamping and stiffness would go away in my belief. For a Fungal Infection, put the water temperature at 76 Degrees F. Treat with one teaspoon a gallon of AQ salt, traditionally you should do an 100% each day-but if it's really bad and/or too stressful you could try sticking with a 50 or try a 75 percent change.

Can't do much for blind bettas, the only problem you're going to run into with them is feeding but it seems like you have that down.

Also! You should add some Stress Coat, it helps fins, reduces stress, and removes ammonia and heavy metals. Though heavy metals and ammonia has nothing to do with this problem. xD
Ok guess I'll go buy some AQ salt tonight~
Should I continue the API Fungal Cure treatment WITH the AQ salt or just switch to AQ salt alone? I'll be sure to put some stress coat in too, just for extra. I don't want to overwhelm him with all these medications x.x Thats a big concern I have.

I can't do 100% daily. Its just too disorienting for him :C If his eyes every clear up I'll go back to doing that but for now it'll be 50% to 75% daily.

· Registered
1,120 Posts
The last time I saw a case of super stiff, straight fins it was fast acting fin melt. Don't quote me on that. Could just be clamping.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The last time I saw a case of super stiff, straight fins it was fast acting fin melt. Don't quote me on that. Could just be clamping.
Thats what my concern is, because his dorsal is almost entirely gone down to the bone....

His caudal is like flippin cardboard. At least his pectorals are ok. That seems to be what he uses to get around.

· Registered
6,718 Posts
are his eyes bugging out or are they just cloudy?
If they are, they you have a case of popeye which I think needs to be treated with an anti bacterial medication.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
are his eyes bugging out or are they just cloudy?
If they are, they you have a case of popeye which I think needs to be treated with an anti bacterial medication.
He doesn't have Popeye. :p Just clouded eyes (and mostly prominently on the top half of his eyes). He definitely has body slime. I can see it falling off him and in the water when he moves.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vision partially restored in the left eye today! He's eating on his own with mild accuracy and success. Swimming is still difficult and his fins are still rigid and deteriorating.

QUESTION:
Should I remove him from the API Fungus Cure and switch to AQ Salt and Stress Coat? Or, should I continue the API Fungus Cure and ADD AQ Salt and Stress Coat?

I don't want to over-drug him, and I've never had THIS sick of a fish before...

· Registered
3,607 Posts
Oh if it's helping also-you could keep using that too, it'll weaken his immune system but with the constant water changes he shouldn't run into anything that will really challenge his immune system. If you're going to keep using the Fungal treatment, cut back on the salt just a tiny bit.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh if it's helping also-you could keep using that too, it'll weaken his immune system but with the constant water changes he shouldn't run into anything that will really challenge his immune system. If you're going to keep using the Fungal treatment, cut back on the salt just a tiny bit.

It was suggested that I use just one crystal of salt per full water change. I'm going to continue the API Fungus Cure until his next full water change. I'll put in 1 crystal + the API Fungus Cure for the next set, then remove the API Fungus Cure and replace with Stress Coat to start treating his fins.

One symptom at a time :roll: Hopefully it will work. The API has really perked him up and he ate ALL of his food today!

· Registered
3,607 Posts
Going with one medication at a time is also an option. But in the diseases section it says for fungal infections you use 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon though-but if you want to treat with API first, than we'll worry about that first. Could I see a picture of what he looks like now? C:

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Doing another 50% water change tonight. 100% tomorrow (since its my day off). Will be putting the stress coat in this evening.

The water is tinted green to me, but in the photos it came out pretty clear! :)
He's still severely clamped and stiff, but way more active than day 1, eating, and responding to light and motion near his bowl. He also ate all of his food with ease. :D

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.