Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roscoe only just started doing this two days ago and it usually happens right after he's flared at his reflection in the tank glass (which is rarely ever). He practically became a Betta beach ball.
He swims around okay, is slightly lethargic, continues to be greedy for food and his fins stay unclamped from his body.

After the first day it happened I didn't feed him for the whole next day and his tummy went back to normal but now it has bloated out again after he flared at his reflection for a few seconds.

I'm a little lost as to what I should do.
Should I fast him every second day just to keep the bloating down?
At the moment he is in a 2.5 gallon tank and I plan on getting a 10 gallon to give him more swimming space. Would that help keep away the bloat?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would check the water quality .sounds like its off.
this was taken from this web site.
http://www.tetra-fish.com/aquarium-information/aquarium-fish-diseases-how-to-spot-them.aspx
CLAMPED FIN

Physical/Behavioral Signs or Symptoms:
  • Fins are folded against the body and not fanned out as they should be.
  • Listless behavior.
Cause:
Not indicative of one specific disease. Can be a reflection of various problems, including bad water quality and/or parasites. Important to first determine the specific problem in order to treat fish properly.
Treatment:
Test the aquarium water to review overall quality and conduct a partial water change to ensure healthy conditions. If the illness is the result of infections, a multipurpose antibiotic like a multipurpose treatment like Tetra Lifeguard® or Tetra Fungus Guard® are the first lines of treatment. is the first line of treatment. Good practice of adding 1 tbs. aquarium salt per gallon will help prevent clamped fin.

Note: Always remove activated carbon before administering any treatments.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts