Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my fish was a bit inactive at some periods of time but he got well. The past week he has been very active but today I noticed his belly being bloated. However he was very eager to eat, so I still fed him as I had not understand the severity od the situation. He remains very active. Do you think this is dropsy or is he just constipated?
4.5g tank
Filtrated
15% water chanhe 2 times a week
Eats jbl flakes
No heater
Ph=7
He is active as usual
Plant Bird Green Leaf Botany
Plant Flower Leaf Botany Organism
Plant Flower Leaf Botany Organism

·
Registered
Flash
998 Posts
Hi!

That is a very beautiful betta boy!!!!

Usually for bloat, it is best to fast the betta for 2 or 3 days. If you are feeding flakes, you could try soaking them a bit before you feed him. Soaking food in garlic juice is always good. The garlic juice is used for picky eaters, and it also gives the betta an immune boost. Feed only small amounts (depending on the size of the flake, maybe 2 flakes crushed up) twice a day with a good 8 or 9 hours between feedings.

It is best to feed bettas a varied diet. Frozen daphnia will help prevent bloat as it acts like a natural laxative. High protein pellet foods are also good, as long as there are low amounts of fillers.

Your water change schedule sounds good!

What is the temp of the tank? Bettas are tropical, so they need a water temp of 78 to 80 degrees.

Also, is the tank cycled? If not, then you might want to read about the nitrogen cycle. It is also good to have a test kit so you will know what the ammonia and nitrite levels are. They are toxic to fish and can cause great harm.

Hope this helps, and I hope he gets better soon! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts