Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while I was at church my close friend (who has no fish experience whatsoever from what I know) texted me saying that she bought me a fish and ghost shrimp as tankmates for my betta..... in his 5 gallon tank.

I asked her what kind of fish she bought. She said a blue gourami. I had never even heard of this fish. She came to my house about three hours later with a fish and shrimp in one bag, and an Asian fern, all from Petco.

The fish is HUGE. I knew for sure that that fish was not meant to be housed with a betta, but she told me that the fish clerk at Petco specifically said to her that they are peaceful with bettas. After some research, I knew that they most definitely were not.

I promised her that I'd give it a try. After all, she bought the fish for me. I first put the shrimp in the tank, because I wasn't so worried about the ghost shrimp causing problems. I used my old frog pellets (I previously owned African Aquatic Dwarf frogs) as food for the shrimp, since they sink. My betta saw the sinking pellets as raining food and decided to grab at some. I do not know how many he ate.

Once I put the gourami in the tank via fish net, my betta was curious, but visibly nervous. They never attacked each other, but my betta was visibly stressed. After about 15-20 minutes of observing, I IMMEDIATELY removed the blue gourami from my betta's tank because I was not comfortable at all with them together.

The gourami is in my old one and a half gallon filtered tank. I told my friend about the situation and called the Petco that my friend bought the blue gourami from. The lady on the phone told me that bettas should not be housed with gouramis under any circumstances, and I let her know that one of her employees told my friend that it was okay.

I plan to go to Petco tomorrow with my friend to refund the fish. I cannot house it.

MY PROBLEM:

My betta is bloated! I want to know if the stress had something to do with it.
Here are pictures:

He is not having any problems swimming, but he is stressed. He is still hiding above the filter nozzle like this:

Did eating at the frog pellets bloat him? Keep in mind that this whole situation happened in a matter of an hour.

Here is the tank that the female blue gourami is in. I know the tank is way too small, but it is the best I can do until tomorrow.

What do I do to save my betta?? He is very stressed and bloated. I am 15 and cannot go to any pet supply stores until tomorrow when I return the blue gourami. I only have a half gallon square tank as an extra. Should I move my betta into that? Should I fast my betta? This is a very strange situation, please help!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Do not move the betta. Leave him in the tank he is in.

I looked up that food online and it is full of fillers. Just fast him for a few days and feed some frozen daphnia if you can find it at the pet store tomorrow.

Return the gourami tomorrow and everything should be fine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do not move the betta. Leave him in the tank he is in.

I looked up that food online and it is full of fillers. Just fast him for a few days and feed some frozen daphnia if you can find it at the pet store tomorrow.

Return the gourami tomorrow and everything should be fine.
Thank you so much. I'll leave him be. I only have one more question, is it unusual for a betta to bloat in such a short period of time?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Yes, it is possible since the food isn't high in protein that your betta's digestive tract wasn't prepared to digest it.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Also, as a rule of thumb ALWAYS quarantine any new fish coming into the tank for at least a week, 2 is better. You never know what they might be carrying. Glad that you're doing the right thing and returning it :) I can't believe someone TOLD your friend that, I hope that other employee finds out who and gives them crap for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts