Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I’m a first-time betta keeper and I’m worried about my bloated betta :(
I bought him 3 weeks ago where he was kept in a newly set up, 10G community tank. He had no issues the whole time.
However recently I’ve set up a 8G divided tank (divided with black acrylic with small holes) to house him and a new betta in.
A little while after adding him to the new tank I noticed bloating around his abdomen and very slightly on his body leading to his tail :(
I’m not sure how worried I need to be and what to do now! I hope it’s just constipation and not swim bladder disease/dropsy, as he’s swimming fine (for now, apart from typical betta ‘head drooping’ when staying still), no fin clamping and his scales are lying flat (no pineconing), but I’m not sure why it happened so soon after putting him into a new tank.
Is it anything to do with stress? Should I put him back into the community tank/leave him be and fast him? I’ve attached photos - the first three photos are him today, the last photo is him a few days ago for comparison. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Tank info:

8G with 7-7.5G water (~3-4G per betta)
pH: 6.5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~0
Chlorine: 0
Ammonia: new water (conditioned) so should be 0
Planted - 3 plants and a branch in each section blocking some sight lines
Difference in behaviour/appearance: apart from bloat, none that I can notice - a bit on edge and swimming along the divider (trying to get used to new surroundings and another betta nearby) but virtually no flaring

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your new betta seem to be swimming the same way?
Yes - completely normal as far as I can tell, lots of swimming along the divider. Apart from the typical betta ‘head drooping’ when staying still, he seems fine - will check again in the morning. Btw I’ve had this betta for a couple weeks - he was in a community tank before this and had no issues :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, it could be the food you are feeding him. . . What type of food are you feeding both of them? (brand name, frozen?)
I’m feeding both of them fish food (betta food, BT-G1 OceanFree? Not sure if it’s a well known brand, just picked it up at the pet store) I fed all the fish in the community tank he was in before with that food, as well as algae wafers for the bottom feeders. Perhaps he ate too much in the old tank as I fed the fish all at once? I’ve seen him scavenge along the bottom for the wafers as well. I’m hoping it’s just coincidence that he bloated after going into the new tank and not because of too much stress. The last pic I posted is a pic of him 2 days ago to compare.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Even if you've given answers to some, please fill out in its entirety as it contains the all of the information needed to make any sort of diagnosis PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Fill out this form so we can....

Without it all anyone can do is guess and potentially cause more harm than good. Or, as in this case, give owners a false sense of security.

Judging from the photos, the fin clamping and your descriptions there is definitely something wrong that needs immediate attention. Once you complete the form someone will answer you.

Also, could you list the BT-G1 OceanFree ingredients? Thank you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Even if you've given answers to some, please fill out in its entirety as it contains the all of the information needed to make any sort of diagnosis PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Fill out this form so we can....

Without it all anyone can do is guess and potentially cause more harm than good. Or, as in this case, give owners a false sense of security.

Judging from the photos, the fin clamping and your descriptions there is definitely something wrong that needs immediate attention. Once you complete the form someone will answer you.

Hi, I’ve answered all I can in my post - the unanswered parameters are ones I can’t get a clear reading on with the test strips I have currently. The ingredients are white fish, Kili meal, multi algae meal, special colour enhancer, red algae meal, carotenoid, dried yeast, multivitamins. I’ve actually had a happy update - the bloating had gone down significantly when I checked this morning. However, the divided tank seemed to stress him out so I moved him back to his community tank - he’s acting completely normal and swimming fine now. The other male also has his run of an 8G tank! Thanks for your reply. I’ll be watching what I feed him a lot more after this scare.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I’ll put in as many details as I can.
Housing: formerly 8G divided tank (4g for him), since the bloat has gone down I’ve moved him into a 10G community tank (where he lived before)
How many gallons is your tank? 8G now 10G
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No (warm climate)
What temperature is your tank? ~25.5 C
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Not in the divided tank, yes in the community tank
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 1 male betta in the divided tank, harlequin rasboras and corydoras in the community.

Food:
What food brand do you use? BT-G1
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Yes(?)
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Every afternoon - when he is in the community tank, all the fish are fed together so I can’t gauge exactly how many pellets he’s eating. He may also be scavenging algae wafers.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Relatively new tank so 40% PWC every 5 days.
What percentage of water did you change? 40-60% depending on cloudiness and nitrite readings
What is the source of your water? Tap water left for 48 hours and conditioned
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip out water
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? API betta conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0 (new water)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: virtually 0 (can’t tell exactly with strips)
pH: ~6.5
Hardness (GH): can’t tell for sure from test strips but falls in the normal range when compared with colour
Alkalinity (KH): see above

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Last night
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Stomach bloat (significantly better this morning)
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Not at all - a bit of stress in the divided tank but completely normal after being put beck in the community
Is your Betta still eating? Havent fed him since
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Fasting
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 1 month
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Because there was too much guessing or questions asked and answered in dribs and drabs, the decision was made that the form must be filled out in it's entirety. And, there are those like me who get painful headaches when trying to read walls of text so quick-reference enables us to help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Because there was too much guessing or questions asked and answered in dribs and drabs, the decision was made that the form must be filled out in it's entirety. And, there are those like me who get painful headaches when trying to read walls of text so quick-reference enables us to help.
I’m really sorry :( still a new user here, because I’m on Fishlore as well I guess I thought all my details were on my profile. Here’s my fish today:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Fish should look like the photo below: Smooth transition from head to body with gradual tapering to the caudal. If you look at the third photo your boy appears to be awfully thin.
FishFromAbove.jpg
How does he react in the divided tank? Some are immediately comfortable and some are not but will settle down; depends on what they are doing.

BTW, the food is a good one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fish should look like the photo below: Smooth transition from head to body with gradual tapering to the caudal. If you look at the third photo your boy appears to be awfully thin.
View attachment 1029868
How does he react in the divided tank? Some are immediately comfortable and some are not but will settle down; depends on what they are doing.

BTW, the food is a good one.
Hi, thanks for your reply! Now that you point it out, he does look a bit thin - I thought it was normal for bettas to be a bit more slim-bodied. I’ve attached more photos of him from today, hopefully they’re good enough. He seemed quite stressed in the divided tank - swimming a lot against the divider, facing off against the male when he catches a glimpse of him, hiding behind plants and not moving - maybe it was my imagination but i think he actually lost a bit of colour as well, so I moved him back into his old community tank + gave the other betta the full tank (he actually made a bubble nest overnight so he seemed fine). Since he’s been in the community tank he’s been fine - swimming normally and acting his normal self. Here are the pics:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
His behavior in the divided tank was normal. I've had divided tanks off and on for years and found they settle down after two or three days.

That being said, I would be more worried his weight. As he's not getting enough nutrition in the community tank it would be best to either put him in the 10 and the other male in the community; or, divide the 10 and put him back.That way you can monitor his intake.

While he is separated, teach him to come to one corner to eat. If you put him back in the community tank you can throw food in for the others opposite of his corner to lure them away so he can eat enough.

Feed him 20 pellets per day divided into four or five meals at least a couple of hours apart. If you can, substitute frozen or live foods at least one meal.

Overfeeding is feeding too much at one time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
His behavior in the divided tank was normal. I've had divided tanks off and on for years and found they settle down after two or three days.

That being said, I would be more worried his weight. As he's not getting enough nutrition in the community tank it would be best to either put him in the 10 and the other male in the community; or, divide the 10 and put him back.That way you can monitor his intake.

While he is separated, teach him to come to one corner to eat. If you put him back in the community tank you can throw food in for the others opposite of his corner to lure them away so he can eat enough.

Feed him 20 pellets per day divided into four or five meals at least a couple of hours apart. If you can, substitute frozen or live foods at least one meal.

Overfeeding is feeding too much at one time.
That’s a relief that his behaviour was normal. I moved him back into the community tank partially because I was worried about stress, but also space and filtration - each betta had ~3.5G (not 100% sure how much space the decor took up), which was a big downgrade for my betta (but an upgrade from the tiny cup the other one was in at the store :p). The water was also a bit cloudy from setting up the tank and the divider made filtration less efficient, and I thought I’d put my betta (his name is Donnie Darko) in a tank with the best water conditions possible. I’m probably going to swap the bettas around (hopefully the other male Gorgonzolo does well in a community tank) and put him into the 7G to fatten him up a bit - dividing the 10G isn’t really viable, as I would have to move all the other fish into a 7G which would be overstocked + I would have to buy a new divider! Thanks so much for the help - I’ll definitely be feeding him more in the other tank. Will the pellets be enough, or should I invest in some other food as well?

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Donnie Darko is a great name for him. Surprised you didn't name your new boy "Frank." :)

I feed my fish pellets and frozen. It's really up to you.

BTW, keep us updated on how Donnie Darko is doing and include a photo of Gorgonzolo.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts