Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Donnie Darko is a great name for him. Surprised you didn't name your new boy "Frank." :)

I feed my fish pellets and frozen. It's really up to you.

BTW, keep us updated on how Donnie Darko is doing and include a photo of Gorgonzolo.
Hahaha that’s a fantastic name suggestion! He could always be Frank Zolo :p here are some pics of both of them. I wasn’t sure whether to fast Donnie or not after your comment about him being thin (which I definitely see now) so I fed him a few pellets today - not sure of the exact number but it might have been a slight over feeding, nothing he couldn’t finish within 30 secs though. After that I noticed a slight bloat again, not nearly as bad as last night, but definitely a bit of protruding. It’s gone down a bit since, the last pic is what he looked like ~3-4 hours after feeding. Some websites say that that’s an indication of him just being full - given that he’s thin, should I do a fast tomorrow and feed him the day after, or not fast him at all and feed him very small amounts each time? Thanks for everything! Here are pics of the boys.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Thank for the photos. :giggle:

Many people feed until their Betta's belly is gently rounded. That's what is happening here. So do feed him his several meals per day.

For future, bloat doesn't go away. So as long as a Betta's belly returns to normal it is fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Many people feed until their Betta's belly is gently rounded. That's what is happening here. So do feed him his several meals per day.

For future, bloat doesn't go away. So as long as a Betta's belly returns to normal it is fine.
Fantastic! I’m gonna start fattening him up then :p will keep you updated! Thank you for everything :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

I’ve since moved him back to the community tank. He seems to have split his top fin halfway down on something but I can’t for the life of me figure out what it is - I thought it would be safer to let him heal in a tank that is 100% injury proof and move the plants to the smaller tank. I’ll be watching him like a hawk when he eats though!

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Lack of body weight is a critical issue. Fins will heal while lack of proper nutrition can have deadly consequences. If you are sure he will get three or four pellets 3-4 times per day (five would be better) he might do okay.

BTW, just noticed he's a Double Tail (DeT). Don't know how we missed that one; his dorsal is an absolute giveaway. :( He will need those multiple 3-4 pellet meals for the rest of his life. With their body shape, DeT are more prone to bloat if fed too much at once. That's why I always housed mine alone except for a Mystery Snail.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Lack of body weight is a critical issue. Fins will heal while lack of proper nutrition can have deadly consequences. If you are sure he will get three or four pellets 3-4 times per day (five would be better) he might do okay.

BTW, just noticed he's a Double Tail (DeT). Don't know how we missed that one; his dorsal is an absolute giveaway. :( He will need those multiple 3-4 pellet meals for the rest of his life. With their body shape, DeT are more prone to bloat if fed too much at once. That's why I always housed mine alone except for a Mystery Snail.
I always thought he was a feather/rosetail! I never noticed the double fin shape. Guess I was wrong! I’m actually finding it hard to tell if his fin is actually split, or if he naturally was that way - I’ve attached some pictures - could you let me know if it looks like a split fin? I’ve also taken some top-down pics of that would help. The last pic in the list is a picture of him a couple weeks ago. Not sure as to whether or not to keep him in the community or the smaller tank now. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Clean water and either Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea will take care of that. Water should be at least this color:
View attachment 1029979
Sounds good, I’ll try and see if I can get the tea - do I literally just soak teabags in the water? Do you know how long it will take to heal? He’s been clamping his find more than usual, not sure if it’s got to do with the injury. Going to do a water change today and maybe move some decorations around just to make sure he’s not being snagged.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Is he back in the smaller tank or still in with the community?

You can brew a strong tea of either Indian Almond Leaves or the Rooibos. Condition and add to tank until it's the proper color. You can store the leftovers in the refrigerator.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
H
Is he back in the smaller tank or still in with the community?

You can brew a strong tea of either Indian Almond Leaves or the Rooibos. Condition and add to tank until it's the proper color. You can store the leftovers in the refrigerator.
He’s in the smaller tank. I’ll see if I can get the teabags - for now I’m just gonna keep the water clean and keep monitoring him! Trying not to get too paranoid :D

21 - 33 of 33 Posts