Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Betta fish for about 4 weeks now and I think he's bloated. I've tried feeding him peas but he wouldn't eat it. He also doesn't eat his pellets. I fed 3 to him and he spit two of them out and only ate one. He seems to have a hard time swimming around and is usually lying around on the bottom of the tank or resting on his leaf hammock.

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 77 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None. I use filtered water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Yes
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I woke up this morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, I've tried the pea treatment.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately) young adult

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
First of all, don't feed peas, they won't help and they may cause damage to the digestive track, use 1 tsp/gallon of epsom salt and fast your betta until he recovers, in the future, try feeding less (1-3 pellets a day is generally good) and try switching to a higher quality pellet food (such as new life spectrum or omega one pellets), fasting for one day a week may also prevent recurrence. Also, I'm sure many people have already told you this and obviously you are pretty diligent about water changes, but if you can you may want to think about getting a bigger tank, it would decrease your maintenance and probably improve water quality quite a bit, also make sure that you are adding seachem prime everyday to detoxify ammonia. Hope your betta recovers soon!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts