Betta Fish Forum banner

Bloated fish question

1K views 32 replies 4 participants last post by  nintendobratkat 
#1 ·
I'm not really sure if my fish is bloated or if he's just a little fat from overfeeding or what the deal is.

His stomach isn't huge and I've been freaking out because I've only had him a month and I don't want him to die. He doesn't exhibit any weird signs. He goes in his rock cave sometimes, stays either in the top of the tank or near the bottom and is generally pretty active. I lowered the amount of food I was giving him from 2 pellets twice a day (morning & night) to 1 pellet per feeding to see if that would help any. It doesn't seem to have made a difference.

I guess looking back at pictures I have from when I first got him he looks the same but I look at other people's fish and they have smaller tummies.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Alright I had to get him into a smaller container to take a picture. It was impossible in his tank.

If you compare it to pictures of normal bettas and the bettas I see in the pet store, his stomach is huge and he's not streamline on his lower front half because of it.

If you look at the pictures I got of him when I first got him he looks like he's had the belly and after reading more and more about bettas and comparing I might have gotten him in not so great health to begin with? I have no idea.

Here is how he was when I got him.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
He's started to be less active recently or at least this morning around 6am I thought he was dead. He was just chilling at the top of his tank near his bubble nest. Wasn't moving his fins or anything. I poked him and he sat there. THEN after about 20 seconds he finally moved to the bottom of the tank and stayed there then went back to that spot after another minute or so.

The tank is a 5 gallon fluval chi. I change about 25% of the water weekly but after I did a 100% change on the tank someone told me I shouldn't have done that. I've since added 3 live plants to help out some in the thank. He has a giant rock thing with caves in the middle to hide in and swim around. He's actually inside the rock thing as I am typing this. I have an Aqueon Pro 50 W heater set between 76 and 80. A temp strip on the side to monitor and I have 2 testers inside the tank that change colors when PH or changes drastically and another I forget what it is but it shows if the water is safe or becoming dangerous.

I've had him for about a month and a half now. He hasn't been sick as far as I know but he's from Walmart so this is how I got him. I am feeding him one pellet twice a day now. I had been feeding him two pellets twice a day before but I thought I was overfeeding him. He's been less active I guess since I switched how much I was feeding him.

He has no tank mates currently as I am waiting on a lid to try out some Ghost Shrimp again. Last time they suicided out of the tank. He would chase them around though since they weren't smart enough to hide so that was probably why they tried to escape. I thought about getting him a tank made but I wouldn't know what to get him.

I really have no idea. He's due for some new water today. Maybe that will liven him up some.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Changed some of the water out today. He's staying at the bottom of his tank a lot now or in his caves or under the caves. I don't really understand what the issue is and I can't afford one of those fancy test kits right now. I have these sticky things that go on the side of the tank.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 5 Gallon Fluval Chi
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? A moss ball, Java Fern & Amazon something. Just plants.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TetraBetta
How often do you feed your betta fish? I was feeding him two pellets twice a day, I've gone down to one pellet twice a day thinking that I was overfeeding him.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin Aqua Plus & Nutrafin Cycle. I also have this plant food stuff, clear water stuff etc by them.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I can't afford a test kit atm and the strips don't give enough information.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His belly is a bit bulgy.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He used to be active, swimming around the tank like a crazy, hiding once in awhile but not often.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Monday.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 Month. I got him from Walmart a month ago so I really have no idea how old he is.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Well he's in a clean isolated container atm bc I think he's dying. I mean he wasn't in great condition when I got him at Walmart either but he's just slowly deteriorated instead of improved over the past month. Hopefully just keeping him out of the tank for now will help with daily water changes in this container.

I'm wondering if I should clean the tank out or something. Maybe one of the plants I bought did this to him since he didn't start acting this weird until a few days after the plants were placed in the tank.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Actually is it possible to start over with my tank and re-cycle it and what not? I'm wondering if something got in there that I wasn't aware of. I know you can't use soap or anything so how would I thoroughly clean it out?

Discussion starter · #16 ·
oh and are you using tap water or well water? or bottled? lol I know its a lot of questions. I am just curious. want to make sure you list all the posibility's. I can tell you this much about water. Some tap water has ammonia already in it. Also, some metals in well water won't go away with water conditioner.
I had a walmart betta too I lost too after a 3 month fight. My first one in a long time. A steel blue veil tail. He died of a mystery condition he got in the "cup/prison" that of course made me want more and the betta bug bit me. I have eleven now.
Well when I first got him I used distilled water but my car broke and with one car and a military husband who works all the time it's hard to do much outside of the house. I used tap water that I treated recently. Maybe that's the issue? Someone said boiling water will clean the water as well but I have a 5 gallon tank and not any big pots that I can really use, just medium sized ones.

I just don't want him to die. When I got him he was so happy to be out of that cup and I'd come up to the tank and he'd come over and stare at me as I stare at him.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
You can try to re-cycle if you want but I by no means am an expert on it. I do know some plants can be poisonous to betta. Maybe if you post what kind of plants you have someone can tell you whats going on. What size container is he in now and how often are you doing water changes? are you floating him in his tank to keep him warm? Are you using the same water from his big tank?
The kinds of plants I bought are the same kind someone else on this forum uses in their tank. Moss ball, Java Fern & Amazon Sword.

I put him back in his tank before bed, the temperatures were just dropping too much that he would have frozen. My husband isn't into this fish thing or even animal thing like I am so every dime I spend is a fight - eventually I'll win and get a second tank for when he's sick.

Discussion starter · #19 ·
hmm not the plants then. Maybe the water difference? So since the hubby fights you on fish stuff purchases (mine does too) I am assuming you have no water testers? I know it can be a change in water. He also could just be older. You never know how long they have been in those cups when you buy them. have you sent a PM to Oldfishlady? if not you can PM any of the Moderators. I use my parents tap water for my fish. I have well water that I don't trust since we live in between two active plants that burn and cut wood. Plus there is a mechanic garage behind me with an underground oil pit and we found oil drums in the woods behind us. I wish someone who has had this problem or knows about it would get on here and try to suggest something for you. I wish I could help you more.
He could be old. He wasn't in amazing condition when I got him but I am trying to make his life less miserable. Going to boil some water in a few once I finish cleaning up the kitchen. Going to be a slow process but maybe it will improve his overall health. He was doing a lot better with the distilled but again I can't go buy that right now. Stupid car.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
To understand.....he has an enlarged tummy-but otherwise eating okay-but now has become more lethargic....

He lives in a 5gal filtered tank with live plants for the past month-and the chi is a tall tank and have a chemistry change with the change in source water...correct.....

He may be tired, weak from the space, water movement and chemistry change....

Sometimes the long fin males can get really tried and stressed in larger spaces especially with water movement-then with a chemistry change-his immune response may be compromised.....

I would move him to a smaller container without any water movement-either a 1gal tank or even a small QT that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain temp in the 77-78F range-making twice weekly 50% water changes and see if he perks up in a few days....If not he may need a treatment.....

The best water to use is dechlorinated tap....distilled water is too pure and bottled water can lack the needed minerals for long term health...

Its important to slowly acclimate them to the new chemistry or you can risk osmotic shock....

By the pic-IMO-he doesn't look bloated-it looks like a normal CT tummy -usually if they have other symptoms along with the enlarged abdomen-like buoyancy issue, stops eating, pooping, lethargic, clamp fins, hiding when it is not related to something else-it could be problematic...but you don't want to over treat or treat needlessly since that can make thing worse.....
Well his stomach looks better today but he hasn't eaten two meals now (last night/this morning). Can you buy a floater thing? I really have no idea what that is.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Alright so I changed the tank water (letting everything do whatever before I put him back). He's in a container atm with his plants. He's been a bit more energetic today. Maybe the salt bath last night helped him some. He did eat which is an improvement. Hoping the fresh water puts him back to his normal energy level.

My aunt on facebook was just like you could get a fish and it could live for 3 yrs or 2 weeks. I was like thanks for the advice. = p She's the same person who thinks it's cool to keep bettas in a vase. Sigh.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
I don't think that it's going to be possible for people to realize they need more care than stick em' in a small vase and change them whenever. Some people think that a betta can be fed one time a week. *rolls eyes*
Well I keep reading not feeding them once a week is good for them but the times and amounts seem to vary by who you ask lol. Ahhh fish are so complicated! I'm fine with letting my fish skip a meal once in awhile. Seems like that helps.

I did just get the lid in for my Fluval Chi so I will get him some tank mates. He had two Ghost Shrimp with him before but they suicided out the top of the tank - hence me getting the lid. He was always messing with them when they weren't hidden, but it kept him busy/happy.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
geez shrimpy suicide. Yea most recomend feeding for 6 days and fasting for the 7th which I think is fine so their tummys can clean out but feed them one time a week? wow. As you can tell with this site, there are many arguments and debates. I think what everybody forgets is that we have to ultimately choose what is best for our fish and us. But feeding one time a week is insane to me.

I agree. I'm okay with skipping a meal or two during the week so his tummy can chill but some people are crazy. Wonder how they'd feel not eating for a week. Just because they can survive like that in the wild doesn't really make it healthy. Food is probably harder to come by there lol. People don't really consider things like that.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Well today and last night I noticed his tail fins are getting skinny, he won't flare and hasn't eaten today at all. I have no idea wtf is going on or why he won't eat. I'm about to give up.

His water is changed but I'm thinking about getting a kit from Petsmart today to do a test. Gotta see if I can find a cheap kit because my husband would freak if I spend yet more money on this fish.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Okay so I think he's starting to feel better. He's hiding less and eating now. Tank is crystal clear which makes all the extra work I had to do worth the effort. I just need to get a test kit now and then I can consider adding some more shrimps. My husband swears the betta was in crappy condition when we got him "he looks exactly the same, learn to pick better fish next time".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.