What size is your tank?- 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank?- 76
Does your tank have a filter?- nope
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?-nope
Is your tank heated?- nope
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?- none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?- tetra betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?- 3 pellets a day, lately, 1 every two days

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?- once per week (i almost hit her for that)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?- 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?- water conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?- bloated
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?- lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms?- 2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?- less feedings
Does your fish have any history of being ill?- no idea
How old is your fish (approximately)?- 9 months?

·
Registered
432 Posts
They could be constipated. My guy got really bloated once and barely moved.
You should fast for a few days to allow his system to move things through. Bettas can go a week or two without food so two or three days won't hurt him if he takes that long.
If you don't see any improvement I would go out and get some unscented Epsom salt. I haven't suggested this to anyone in awhile so I can't remember the dosage exactly. I think it's 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, maybe 1 teaspoon. I'll have to double check that. But try fasting for a bit first.

Edit: Also the temperature of your tank needs to be higher. 76 is a bit cool. A good range is between 78-82, but most people tend to keep theirs around 79 or 80.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree. Fast him for a few days and if theres no improvement, try getting some Epsom salt, it acts as a natural laxative. I would also strongly recommend a heater as well to keep it at a stable 78-80.

I would also recommend a different type of food. Frozen daphnia can act as a laxative too. Once your betta is better, get him a new food since Tetra food is not very good for a betta. You may not realize but my first betta was definitely a learning experience and in that experience, a change in food makes all the difference. The best recommended food is either New Life Spectrum or Omega One.

Good luck with your betta, wish him the best!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Epsom salt has a different name too, i cant remember which, help?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no, it had a name that had to do with magnesium i think...
the problem is that i we dont speak english here so i cant ask for epson salt, i have to use the other name

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and what is the dosage?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.