Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really an emergency, since he's still acting and looking normal. Moby has been eating enthusiastically, though he rejected pellets for flakes, oddly enough. He pooped the first few days I had him, but then a couple days ago he had this really big one, like bigger than I thought a fish as tiny as him could possibly make. And since then I haven't seen any more poop at all. He doesn't look bloated. I fed him one daphnia earlier, since I heard that can get their systems moving. Any suggestions?
He's a new fish, and I'm doing a fish-in cycle with him in a 5 gallon.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If he doesn't look bloated, he probably isn't. Depending on the type of substrate, you may just not be able to see it. If you're still worried though, go ahead and post some pictures and fill this out, and we'll see what's up.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

With an in-fish cycle, I assume you're changing the water daily?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am changing his water daily, at least 1 gallon, and more if there's any ammonia. He has black sand, so any waste is easy to see. I'm thinking the current from the filter might be too strong, he gets pushed around by it a lot and hasn't really adjusted like I thought he would. Here's a pic of him. I didn't get any good side pics, but what do you think? (btw the black edging on his fins is not fin rot)

posing feesh edited.jpg
Such a supermodel :cool:

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 82-83* F
Does your tank have a filter? foam filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? filter provides that
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? OO flakes and frozen (not freeze-dried) bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1-3 gallons
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime, small amount of API stresscoat, and IAL

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness: -
Alkalinity: -

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? hasn't
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not pooping
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? ~6 months

(P.S. unrelated, but while doing a water test, I got a bit of diluted nitrate solution on my finger. I rinsed it off for a long time, but it still kind of stings... it's probably nothing to be alarmed about, but any suggestions before I have to amputate? ;-) )

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not with my current lighting situation, which in this case was a flashlight and a lucky shot. I should be getting a real light tomorrow though, so I'll try for a better pic then.

·
Registered
908 Posts
For what it's worth, one of my bettas only poops once a week- week and a half, and I have another two that I call "ghost poopers" I can never find it, so I wouldn't panic unless he looked bloated.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh really? That is reassuring. I don't have any experience with different betta habits yet, so everything is new with Moby.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I dunno, I'd probably miss it on black sand. Then again, I'm not that observant sometimes xD

What a pretty boy! He looks fine from the front, honestly. But it's hard to tell from there... even a bad side pic could help, depending on how bad it is? Keep trying! They can be very... uncooperative models xD

If you think the current from the filter is too strong, you should look into baffling it! For non-adjustable filters (like mine), it's often necessary since the current can blow their fins around.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made a couple of big floating rings out of airline tubing and put them in the tank and they help with the surface agitation. There's still a current, but I'll get some foam today and see what I can do.
Also here's the best pic I could get:

Moby side view.jpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ah yeah, he is a bit bloated. Have you tried fasting him for a couple days? And you were on the right track with the daphnia, if you can get frozen daphnia, that should work better

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, darn. So, when you say fasting you mean not feed him anything for a couple days, right? I don't have any frozen daphnia, but I'll give him some more freeze-dried and hope that works. Any other remedies? What are peas supposed to do again?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yep, nothing. Bettas can actually go quite a while without food (though they won't be happy about it). Two days with no food is no big deal at all. In fact, it's recommend to fast your betta one day out of the week as part of their regular feeding schedule! I do that, my guy likes to stare at me angrily that day... but it's good for his digestion so suck it up, fishy >__>

Peas shouldn't really be used with bettas, since they're insectivores. Some say it can mess with their digestion. I know some people that feed their bettas peas just fine, but better safe than sorry. Peas do what daphnia does with bettas, and here, people will tell you to use daphnia. Just make sure to soak them well in tank water before giving them to him when they're freeze-dried!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I fasted him for two days, his bloating went down, then I fed him for two days, and now he's bloated again. Am I feeding him too much? Is he just one of those bettas that bloats at the slightest thing?

·
Registered
96 Posts
hmm... I don't have a lot of experience with bloating, myself. You could try fasting a few more days, 'cause like I said, he'll be fine. But I wonder if there's something else going on =\ sorry I can't be of more help

How much are you feeding him? I saw you were doing flakes, and its hard to guess how much you give them with those. You could try pellets, if he'll eat them. A good, high quality pellet would be omega one betta buffet. Do you soak the bloodworms before you give them to him? They can expand in the stomach, and he probably only needs one a day. Eg, my feeding schedule is: 3x pellets twice a day M-F, 1 bloodworm, soaked, Saturday, and fasting on Sundays

...But you've had him this long, I can't imagine feeding schedule being a problem all of a sudden

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It is hard to guess, but I've been giving him 3-4 small Omega One flakes 2x a day, which seemed equivalent to ~2 pellets. I tried giving him both OO and Spectrum pellets, but he just spit them out and after a while wouldn't even try to eat it if he saw that it was a pellet. The bloodworms aren't freeze-dried btw, they're frozen, and I feed him 2 bloodworms once a week.

Good news though, he's pooping! I will try soaking the pellets, just to see if he'll try them that way. Still finding that balance. You've been very helpful, thanks :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Feeding seems fine. Maybe he just decided to cause trouble to get attention! >_>

Glad he's pooping! which is such a funny thing to say xD Glad I could help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts