Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Stomach starting growing 2 days ago, diet is strictly BettaMin flake medley, rejects anything else. Will go up to top and bottom of tank, is perfectly active. I can’t tell if his scales are pineconed or he’s just fat. He gets fed a lot because we love him so much, maybe a little too much. Can anyone help? Thanks

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm sorry your betta isn't feeling well! Please fill out this form so we have the info we need to help, thanks-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t know any of the nitrates and stuff, can you just tell me if the scales look pineconed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry your betta isn't feeling well! Please fill out this form so we have the info we need to help, thanks-

I don’t know any of the nitrates and stuff, can you just tell me if the scales are pineconed?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Not having test results is fine. There are other important questions on the form, like how often you do water changes and how large the tank is. Without knowing how your betta is taken care of, any advice we give will just be a guess which is why we ask for the form to be filled out as completely as you are able.

That said, I am not seeing signs of dropsy in your picture. However your betta is very swollen which indicates a problem which could be equally serious. I'd like to help figure out what is wrong and how to help him get better, but I really cannot unless I have more information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not having test results is fine. There are other important questions on the form, like how often you do water changes and how large the tank is. Without knowing how your betta is taken care of, any advice we give will just be a guess which is why we ask for the form to be filled out as completely as you are able.

That said, I am not seeing signs of dropsy in your picture. However your betta is very swollen which indicates a problem which could be equally serious. I'd like to help figure out what is wrong and how to help him get better, but I really cannot unless I have more information.
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?

Does it have a filter?

no

Does it have a heater?

no

What temperature is your tank?

Room temp/ maybe 70

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?

Moss Ball

Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

No

Food:
What food brand do you use?

Betta Min

Do you feed flakes or pellets?

Flakes

Freeze-dried?

yes

How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Full “meal” 2 times, 1 “snack” smaller portion

Maintenance:

weekly

Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?

What percentage of water did you change?

I do not knkw

What is the source of your water?

tap, conditioned with drops

Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?

Dip out

What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?
Tetra AquaSafe

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: I do not know any of these
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:

Swollen Belly

When did you first notice the symptoms?

2 days ago

How has your Betta’s appearance changed?

Stomach larger

How has your Betta’s behavior changed?

Not at all

Is your Betta still eating?

yes, but because I think he may be bloated I have put him on a fast

Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?

fasting

Does your Betta have any history of being ill?

no

How long have you owned your Betta?

about 8 months

Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
Seemed to have vision issues, resolved over time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So.....can you help?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts