Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions regarding bloodworms. I'm using the frozen cubes, and, of course, thawing them out in a dish, with a little purified water, before serving.

In this batch, a lot of the bloodworms have been black. I pick and choose the red ones to feed, and I'm throwing out a lot of bloodworms. Is there any harm in feeding my bettas the black bloodworms?

Also, regarding the dish I use to defrost the bloodworms. I never use soap to clean it, since I worry about the worms absorbing soap residue, which I've read is harmful to fish. What do you all do? Do you just rinse the dish with water, or is it safe to wash it with soap?

Thanks

Registered
I use the dried out bloodworms. All of mine are brown. What brand is it? If it's a good brand I bet it's okay.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your betta is beautiful. The freeze dried are always brown. Black bloodworms are either healthy or unhealthy, I can't picture this changing from brand to brand.

Registered
Are they black after you thaw them, or black already?

Registered
My frozen blood worms always thaw and are red. Heck mine are red before. And I use water from the tank to thaw my blood worms. I don't want to feed the fish bloodworms thawed in sink water that isn't good for them. Oh and I use the little dental cups. You know the ones to use to rinse your mouth out with after brushing your teeth. They are small and cheap so I just use them and throw it away after use. So I'm not sure about your dish and how to clean it. I hope I helped a little.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My frozen blood worms always thaw and are red. Heck mine are red before. And I use water from the tank to thaw my blood worms. I don't want to feed the fish bloodworms thawed in sink water that isn't good for them. Oh and I use the little dental cups. You know the ones to use to rinse your mouth out with after brushing your teeth. They are small and cheap so I just use them and throw it away after use. So I'm not sure about your dish and how to clean it. I hope I helped a little.
Can I ask what brand bloodworms you're using? Are they in a flat package, or are they cubes?

I thaw mine with a little purified water, the same water I use in their tanks, so I'm pretty much doing the same thing you are there.

Do you refrigerate yours and reuse them later in the day, or throw out the left overs?

Also, by dental cups, do you mean those little paper cups with no wax coating? What are the cups called (so I know what to look for). Thanks.

Registered
When I had frozen blood worms, I'd take some water out of my tank in a measuring cup, put the frozen cube in that, and then swirl it around until it was totally dethawed and then put the water back in the tank. My animals loved it.

If you're worried about diseases and what not, get boiling water and toss it in there. Not a lot of things can survive boiling water.

Registered
Can I ask what brand bloodworms you're using? Are they in a flat package, or are they cubes?

I thaw mine with a little purified water, the same water I use in their tanks, so I'm pretty much doing the same thing you are there.

Do you refrigerate yours and reuse them later in the day, or throw out the left overs?

Also, by dental cups, do you mean those little paper cups with no wax coating? What are the cups called (so I know what to look for). Thanks.
Well my dental cups are plastic. The brand of blood worms I get are Hikari Bio-Pure. Mine are the cubes. I have a knife I don't use for anything but the blood worms that I attempt to cut the cube in half. I don't save any leftovers. they eat them or they are trash to me. I've never given it much thought. But that is also why I attempt to half them. And I put the other half in a Ziploc that I keep in the freezer with the others. I hope that helps. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I never get anyone that actually asks a question back. lol

Registered
I feed mine Freeze Dried Bettas and their from the Aqueon, female loves them and their brownish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts