Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2.5 gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes (carbon removed due to Ich-X dosing)
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 80-82°F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
A rotation of Fluval Bug Bites Flakes, Aqueon Betta Pellets, Hikari Freeze-dried Brine Shrimp. Also Hikari Freeze-dried Bloodworms once a week.
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
Usually 1-2 times per day depending on when I get home. Per meal: 2-4 flakes depending on size OR 2-3 pellets OR 1-2 eyeball-sized amount(s) of brine shrimp. I will fast him 1 meal if his stomach looks bloated.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
He had dark spots, missing scales, and silver patches since I got him. Was doing 10-15% water changes every other day until I started dosing with Ich-X which required 30% water changes daily (sometimes did 30% every other day).
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip out water.
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Was using Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus. Switched to API Stress Coat+ one week ago.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0-0.5ppm
pH: 7.4
Hardness (GH): N/A
Alkalinity (KH): N/A

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Since I got the fish.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? I initially noticed the dark patches on his head with some spread towards dorsal fin with what appears to be missing scales. The silver patches with some gold (?) iridescence under his chin appears to have spread further down to gills and abdomen; now there is some lightening in coloration behind his pectoral fins.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Redditors recommended Ich-X. Have been intermittently dosing (mostly daily, but sometimes every other day) for the past 10 days. Small dark patches on side seemed to have resolved and scales in those areas returned after a week of dosing; however, progress seemed to have stagnated and the appearance of the head stayed the same throughout treatment.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Unknown as symptoms were present since the beginning.
How long have you owned your Betta? 1 month
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Appeared so, yes.

Appreciate any help I can get. Thank you!

Water Liquid Fin Botany Organism
Plant Water Fin Underwater Organism
Fin Organism Fish Terrestrial plant Underwater
Flower Plant Eye Underwater Terrestrial plant
Flower Plant Light Leaf Botany
Plant Flower Nature Terrestrial plant Fish

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Bettas, 5 Snails, 2 Shrimp, 3 Mice, 2 Hissing roaches
1,521 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear your baby isn't doing well.

I've got a question or two if you don't mind?

The gold patches, does it look like there's little spots/grains on them?
Its spreading and not getting better, right? Or has it stalled?
How many doses of Ich-X have you done?

I'm leaning towards it being velvet currently. Which, the medication you're using is supposed to help treat.
I would recommend, after finishing this dose, moving him to a hospital tank and adding aquarium salt to his treatment (salt will kill your live plants). If that doesn't help you can try Ich-X again or another medication.
You should also dim his aquarium lights since the parasites are light dependant.

Hope he starts doing better soon!

Reactions: betta4ever!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear your baby isn't doing well.

I've got a question or two if you don't mind?

The gold patches, does it look like there's little spots/grains on them?
Its spreading and not getting better, right? Or has it stalled?
How many doses of Ich-X have you done?

I'm leaning towards it being velvet currently. Which, the medication you're using is supposed to help treat.
I would recommend, after finishing this dose, moving him to a hospital tank and adding aquarium salt to his treatment (salt will kill your live plants). If that doesn't help you can try Ich-X again or another medication.
You should also dim his aquarium lights since the parasites are light dependant.

Hope he starts doing better soon!
Hi, thank you so much for your reply!
I would say the gold coloring on the patches looks more like dust and iridescence which makes it confusing. Not distinctive enough to call them grains at the moment.
The silver patches seems be spreading but the gold seemed to have stalled.
I would say I have done at least 7 doses of Ich-X.

Yes, I was also concerned about it being velvet! I attempted aquarium salt once in the past but then I read that it isn't good for prolonged use / better as a salt bath instead of adding to tank directly so I stopped it. If I move him to a hospital tank, should I be worried about the water not being cycled? Additionally, I understand it is much stronger, but would you recommend switching to a medication with copper?

I initially left the LED light off in his tank all day (alas, no dimming function) and covered it with a cloth but it seemed to stress him out (a lot of glass surfing and erratic swimming). Soon after I added plants so I had to leave the light on. I will try just leaving the light off and no towel to see if that's okay.

Sorry for the barrage of questions! I appreciate you and your help. :)

·
Registered
6 Bettas, 5 Snails, 2 Shrimp, 3 Mice, 2 Hissing roaches
1,521 Posts
I don't know of any disease that causes silver patches, so that might just be colouring of some sort. Some bettas just have lighter bellies.

Velvet can look like dust too. I believe it's more commonly referred to that than as grains. Sorry!

You can use aquarium salt for prolonged use, you just don't want to do it for over two weeks since it then becomes ineffective. Epsom is the one you don't want to add directly to the tank.
If you would rather just do daily salt baths, you can certainly do that too!

Try the aquarium salt first for a few days, if there's no improvement you can do something with copper. Too much medication back to back causes stress and can make their immune systems worse.
But yes, copper is supposed to be great at getting rid of it. And it is a strong medication, most fish do good with it though. If you do use it just continue to keep watch!

If he gets too stressed without his light on, is there a dimmer one you could use maybe?

The hospital tank, it's better to have them cycled, but I've set many a hospital tanks up last moment then put my kids in and they were fine.

No need to apologize for the questions! Its no bother and it's how we learn, I'm happy to answer them all as best as I can. :)

·
Super Moderator
915 Posts
He looks healthy to me and the changes in coloration/shades appear to happen due to his genetics.

If it was my fish I would hold off with any medication, keep his water clean (two 50% water changes per week including at least 1 with vacuuming) and order some Indian Almond Leaves in case you‘ll need them some time or to put half a leaf in just for his comfort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts