Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uggghghhh I've had a bit of a blue green algae problem in my 10 gallon tank. It began when my tank started getting direct sunlight in the afternoons. It got under control enough for my snails to eat it when I stopped turning on the tank lights... but then my plants were dying because it wasn't getting direct sunlight for long enough. Anyway, i started turning on the tank lights again, but the BGA came back. it wasn't too noticeable until I switched from dark gravel to white sand... within a few days the sand was coated with BGA! ewwwww. My snails don't eat it off of the sand :roll:. So I tried to vacuum it up tonight, but it's too heavy to get sucked up all the way. It comes off in nasty sheets. :sick: So I vacuumed it and dropped the algae in piles and I had to scoop it out with a net. It's really bad. How do I get rid of it?!

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide and a bubbler. I used both on the BGA in my 6.6 gallon and it hasn't come back in a few months. Just be weary about the leaves melting. You can find more information online. :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
google one two punch algae. i am going to try the first part tomorrow i think. i am going to take out some of the fish and see what happens to the ones i leave in. i dont have a powerhead or circulator so i think i willl just stir the water with something. i dont know if i can stir it for very long though but ill try.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I believe you will need antibiotics to totally eradicate it. Hopefully someone who knows what kind will come along. I am guessing Maracyn, but definitely search that because I am not sure.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, everyone.
One thing I read is that it occurs when there are low nitrates and high light... My test kit doesn't come with a bottle to test for nitrates, but I would think that it should have enough nitrates because the tank has been running for about 7 months. Should I do WC less often to give the nitrates a chance to build up? I do WC about once a week now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i have a 20L. the light is not very high. indirect sunlight for a few hours in the morning. thats all.

i decided to do the first part of one two punch. i put 5 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide in the tank and just mixed it around. i only have a sponge filter on that tank so i just used a cup and swirled the water around for 15 mins. this is my betta sorority but it also has saimese algae eaters and neons. i took out most of the bettas but left some in to see what happens.

i removed 80% of the water after 15 mins of stirring and the fish seem fine. i am going to wait an hour to see if the fish are still ok. then i will add the rest of the bettas back in.

i have anacharis, dwarf sagi, microsword and a few diff anubias. anacharis kind of fragile so ill see what happens in the next week or so. i also saw a feeder shrimp alive in there.

on a diff tank.. 55 gal... i used maracyn for 5 days at full dose and did a black out during the treatment. the BGA has not come back after a few months. the reason i am trying peroxide instead is because maracyn gets expensive.

·
Registered
367 Posts
the plants are still ok and so are the fish. problem is... so is the blue algae. i believe i underdosed slightly to be on the safe side. next time ill add an extra tablespoon of peroxide and mix more... plus i do have a water circulator on order from amazon. im trying to avoid adding the excel because of mixed opinions side effects.

·
Registered
367 Posts
anacharis are dying partially. some of the leaves have fallen off but some are mostly ok. the other plants are fine and the fish are fine. also saw a shrimp which looked healthy

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've dealt with blue-green algae twice now, and I don't know if this will work for you, but...

In the first tank that got it, it was in an isolated area of long stems, so I just manually removed it and did a blackout for a couple of days. The plants were fine without light for that period of time, nothing was lost except the algae-fied clippings, haha.

In the second tank that got it, it was everywhere! Luckily only on the top portions of the plants, so I just cut it all out, basically. The tank looked rather bare, but things will grow back. This time I blacked out for a full four days. Again, the plants were fine during that period, so I wouldn't worry too much about depriving your plants of light for a couple of days!

So far I haven't seen a recurrence of the stuff in either of the tanks that have been affected by BGA. With blackouts, you've gotta remember that people ship plants all the time and they survive, so do what you gotta do to get rid of the algae.

I hope that helped somewhat, I haven't had my coffee yet so may not be quite coherent enough to explain stuff. >.<

·
Registered
74 Posts
What kind of snails are you using?
I have MTS for my gravel and they've gone right to work. I don't even think they sleep.

Somebody else on here will know, but I think MTS will take to sand, from what I've read. Anybody know first-hand?

If not MTS, then maybe you could borrow some plecos from somebody? I bet they'd eat it.

Also something I can't speak for but just an idea, you may try loaches. I know they like sand and I've heard they munch anything on the bottom.

I just think there's probably a safer alternative then throwing chemicals in there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have nerite snails in my tank with the bga problem. They eat the bga from the glass and plants, but not from the sand. I have MTS in my 55 gallon with soil/sand substrate and they love it. I think I'd need a lot of them in my 10 gallon, though, enough to mix up the sand and keep bga from blanketing the surface of the sand.

·
Registered
367 Posts
the bga growing like crazy in the tank that i treated with peroxide. now i got it covered in a blanket for a black out for a week. we will see what will happen.

i also got some hornwort out of a tub from outside. it has bga. i rinsed them in tap water and then put them in dechlorinated water. i can see pieces of bga. i put them in a jar and put them in a storage locker. i will keep it there for a week and see what happens.

next i will order some excel and do some experiments =)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I might end up doing fake plants in that tank and move the real ones to my 55 gal. That way I can block out the sunlight during the day when I'm not home, and then put on the tank lights once the direct sunlight has moved. Right now my plants are doing poorly because it gets direct sunlight for a couple of hours (causing the BGA), but the rest of the day there's not enough light to keep my plants alive. If I leave the tank lights on in addition to the direct sunlight, my plants do ok, but the algae gets worse.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Erythromycin is a great treatment for blue-green algae. I've used it twice on two different tanks and it's like a charm.

Just follow the instructions on the package. I used API's Erythromycin.

·
Registered
367 Posts
ive used ethromycin as well which did work but killed one cory. it is also cost about $10 or so to treat about 20 gals. so im looking for something that works that doesnt cost that much.

so i have heard that for some people black outs work. i have now blacked out my 20 gal that was very infested with bga for 2 weeks. looks like the bga has disappeared but i still see some kinds of algae on there. hope its not bga. the fish and plants are still alive. plants are more yellowish then green. ill post in a week or so if it comes back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used products meant for reef aquariums, Red Slime Remover specifically, to eradicate that dark blue-green slime algae in a small betta tank I have. I am a little apprehensive about putting straight Erythromycin in established tanks. I know RSR has antibiotics in it, but I've never had any issues using it.

Also, be wary of cross-contamination with your other tanks, it can transfer easier than you would think.

I know that stuff is a pain, hope you have success getting rid of it!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts